COMPARED: MGW vs. Steeda Triax

anthony05gt

Mar 18, 2006
Maryland
I've had the Steeda Triax shifter for over a year now and even updated it with the stock OEM bushings rather than the brass bushings that came with it on the bottom of the shifter. Steeda no longer sells the shifter with brass bushings do to noise. I just removed the Triax and replaced it with a new MGW LTD model. Keep in mind the PRO 50 shifter is pretty much the same as the Triax.

The Triax is a decent shifter after the OEM bushings were installed which really did quiet the thing down. It does rattle a bit at certain rpm's which is a PITA at times. There have been times that I've missed third gear do to the shifter handle hitting what feels like a brick wall (no man's land) and I've had the thing go into 1st gear when hunting for third, that's only happened a couple of times. Overall it's a decent shifter that's fairly quiet and performs very well as long as you know how to hunt the gear selection down. The height adjustment for the shifter handle is either 1 or the other position........no in between. I like it in between. The higher the engine revs, the harder it is to engage a gear.

After installing the MGW LTD model I immediately hit the rural streets where I live and flogged the thing. It feels very solid. Very little slop whether in or out of gear. The adustable throw is incredible. My adjuster is about 8 turns out which is a fairly short, but not extremely short throw. Missing third gear takes a real jackazz for sure do to the heavy springs in the design. Absolutely no noise over the stock shifter in my opinion. I was able to get pretty darn decent speed shifts with this thing which is something I just couldn't do with the Triax at high rpm's. Shifting from 1st to 2nd requires you to remember the heavy springs, but not a problem. I just adjusted the way I shift a bit and got used to it real quick. Getting it in reverse is easy, no problems there.

Overall, it is my opinion that the MGW LTD shifter is the best replacement out there for a host of reasons that others have already gone over. I just wanted to do an honest comparison between the two. I highly recommend it. Very solid. You can feel it immediately.

• Sponsors (?)

MGW vs tri-ax

I've read what seemed like a hundred posts praising the tri-ax. "Never miss third again" and so on. I've had a tri-ax for 18 months (1st mod) and have hit the "brick wall" so many times I've stopped speed shifting to third. I figured it was just me. Good to know someone else has had the same problem. I'll be ordering an MGW real soon.

I've read what seemed like a hundred posts praising the tri-ax. "Never miss third again" and so on. I've had a tri-ax for 18 months (1st mod) and have hit the "brick wall" so many times I've stopped speed shifting to third. I figured it was just me. Good to know someone else has had the same problem. I'll be ordering an MGW real soon.

This use to happen to me on my 01 GT. Misery loves company, :)

You only get what you pay for guys. The B&M is just OK. This thing is a work of art when it comes to design. The proof is in the shifts, period. I don't know how aggressive you guys get while shifting, but an all out speed shift without letting off the gas creates a true test for a shifter, clutch set up and driver technique. This shifter provides one less issue on that list.

The Steeda Tri-Ax is $279.99 + Shipping. The MGW is $320.00 + Shipping. I recently purchased the MGW for my car and have also purchased a Steeda Tri-Ax. It will be the MGW in my car...

From what I have seen the MGW is the best shifter you can buy with the Steeda Tri-Ax and Pro 5.0 are tied for 2nd, they are pretty much the same thing. Hurst is 4th and B&M is a distant 5th...

I have hit the brick wall in 3rd with the stock shifter in my car and sometimes the car was not always at high RPM. Anthony05GT you are the first I have heard anyone do that with the Tri-Ax/Pro 5.0. That is a common complaint of the B&M and Hurst shifters though...

You can only buy this shifter directly from MGW in Georgia. 706-793-1770.

TGJ, I've experienced the lost 3rd gear shift several times. My biggest complaint with the Triax was high rpm shifts could not be done fast enough. It was like you had to wait before the thing would engage. That would completely throw off my timing. I'm used to banging gears with my gas foot on the floor between shifts. The MGW shifter allows this.

You can only buy this shifter directly from MGW in Georgia. 706-793-1770.

TGJ, I've experienced the lost 3rd gear shift several times. My biggest complaint with the Triax was high rpm shifts could not be done fast enough. It was like you had to wait before the thing would engage. That would completely throw off my timing. I'm used to banging gears with my gas foot on the floor between shifts. The MGW shifter allows this.

i really do think i am going to purchase this shifter but i want some pics of it first..

anthony05gt do you have any from your install??

I had the Steeda shifter on my 99 Cobra. I liked it but quite honestly it took awhile for the damn thing to notch in before I could feel comfortable with it. The MGW unit is class all the way. I have it on my 03 Cobra. It takes about 10 minutes to put it in and was ready for the road. Anything I've ever bought from MGW is full-on quality engineering. If you dont like somthing you call them and they fix it. No B.S. or runaround from some idiot customer service person. You might consider adding one of their shift knobs to it as well. They look nice and again, quality built. No, I dont work for MGW, I've just used and installed alot of their products on two cars over several years and have never been disatisfied.

I'm going to try to post a link here. I don't know if it's allowed, but here it is.

http://www.modularfords.com/forums/...er-installed-first-impressions-wow-78992.html

George at MGW is a class act like others have noted. The comment about him doing contract work for the government is true and Mustangs/Vipers are his passion. He makes parts for them as he has time to develop them, but the government work is priority.

Just got my tri axe put in today, love it! Very little noise difference between stock and this shifter. Some rotation vibration at certain rpms but nothing to get mad about. I'm sure mgw is great, but you could save a few bucks with the steeda. Paid 259 and 160 install done by steeda.