• Mustang Forums
  • 1979 - 1995 (Fox, SN95.0, & 2.3L) -General/Talk-

Completely replacing Mach 460

  • Thread starter Thread starter El Horsepower
  • Start date Start date Feb 14, 2008
E

El Horsepower

New Member
Jul 27, 2007
15
0
0
Feb 14, 2008
#1
  • Feb 14, 2008
  • #1
I have a 95 GT Vert and the Mach 460 system sounds like crap to be honest. I want to replace every speaker and put a subwoofer enclosure in the trunk. I've been seraching around for information on how to do this but I'm getting a lot of conflicting info. What size are the tweeters? From what I understand there are subwoofers in the front doors and subwoofers in the rear panels. The rear panels also have a speaker dedicated for highs. What if I just tear all of the speakers out and replace the subwoofers with normal speakers and replace the tweeters with better ones. Then I would let the subs in the trunk handle bass, the door speakers handle mids and the tweeters handle highs. I have read in many places that if I replace the head unit with an after market one, I will have to wire it directly. Does this mean I will have to route the wire throughout the car body? Why can't the stock wiring be used?
 

JJ95GTID

Active Member
Sep 22, 2003
1,141
4
49
Phoenix, AZ
Feb 14, 2008
#2
  • Feb 14, 2008
  • #2
What I ended up doing is pulling all the speakers and the 3 amps (2-2 channels for the subs and 1-4 channel for the highs).
Then I wrote down the wiring colors and made a schematic.
From there I just wired in all my aftermarket stuff using the stock wiring harness.
 
E

El Horsepower

New Member
Jul 27, 2007
15
0
0
Feb 14, 2008
#3
  • Feb 14, 2008
  • #3
So you can use the stock wiring for the speakers? Would I notice a difference if I used new wires?
 

JJ95GTID

Active Member
Sep 22, 2003
1,141
4
49
Phoenix, AZ
Feb 14, 2008
#4
  • Feb 14, 2008
  • #4
El Horsepower said:
So you can use the stock wiring for the speakers? Would I notice a difference if I used new wires?
Click to expand...

I doubt it. Unless you plan to run serious high quality equipment that would require Monster cable you should be able to use the factory wiring.

If you go through what I did you'll notice that Ford used two different gauges of wire. The thicker gauge should be plenty for aftermarket speakers that fit in the stock locations.
 
You must log in or register to reply here.

Similar threads

S
Fox Another try for the European guy to get his first Fox
  • Schargedfox
  • Aug 3, 2026
  • 1979 - 1995 (Fox, SN95.0, & 2.3L) -General/Talk-
Replies
10
Views
321
1979 - 1995 (Fox, SN95.0, & 2.3L) -General/Talk- Aug 4, 2026
DadLife0724
S
Stereo snakes nest; what am I missing?
  • Scott_S
  • Aug 29, 2025
  • Mustang Sound & Shine All
Replies
3
Views
437
Mustang Sound & Shine All Sep 24, 2025
Scott_S
S
Run a 5 channel or use head unit and mono amp for sub?
  • 2000xp8
  • Sep 20, 2024
  • 1979 - 1995 (Fox, SN95.0, & 2.3L) -General/Talk-
Replies
7
Views
2K
1979 - 1995 (Fox, SN95.0, & 2.3L) -General/Talk- Sep 23, 2024
2000xp8
P
Interior and Upholstery Door Speakers- found suggestion to go component, not coaxial
  • pindude80
  • Apr 21, 2025
  • Fox 5.0 Mustang Tech
Replies
13
Views
2K
Fox 5.0 Mustang Tech Apr 28, 2025
Mindseye007
K
Need help with 99 cobra mach 460 audio
  • kevinatd18
  • Mar 16, 2024
  • Mustang Sound & Shine All
Replies
5
Views
2K
Mustang Sound & Shine All Mar 17, 2024
Noobz347
Share:
Bluesky Email Share Link
  • Mustang Forums
  • 1979 - 1995 (Fox, SN95.0, & 2.3L) -General/Talk-
Menu
Log in

Register

  • Forums
  • What's new
  • Media
  • Resources
  • Contact
  • Sponsor
X

Privacy & Transparency

We use cookies and similar technologies for the following purposes:

  • Personalized ads and content
  • Content measurement and audience insights

Do you accept cookies and these technologies?

X

Privacy & Transparency

We use cookies and similar technologies for the following purposes:

  • Personalized ads and content
  • Content measurement and audience insights

Do you accept cookies and these technologies?