computer guys

Suspect

Aug 25, 2004
GA.
just got a new computer and i was just wondering (if possible) how i could transfer all my stuff to the new one. i have all my programs on disk so im not worried about that. just stuff like pics, movie, and music. what would i need to get it done?

• Sponsors (?)

Does your old computer have a CD or DVD burner? If it does, you simply burn all your stuff to disk and copy it to the new 'puter.

If it doesn't, you have a couple options:
1. Take the hard drive out of the old computer, put it in the new computer, copy files, remove old hard drive.
2. Network the 2 computers and transfer the files over the new network.

OR get a cheap external HD hook it to the old one copy your stuff to it then hook it up to the new one. Then you can keep all your music files and stuff on the external and not use up all your HD space on the computer and added space is always a +

networking on a standard router w/ a standard network cable would be too slow and would take forever. get yourself a cross-over cable--it's like a regular network cable only it allows for way faster transfers. that, or either burn your old stuff onto cd's or transplant hdd's as mentioned above.

no cd burner on old one, on the new i do (woot). i do have a router.. :shrug:
might have to look into an external hd. im on the new one now, just got it hooked up. gotta find all my favs and get all my settings the way i like.

thxs guys.
:)

If you already have a router with a built in switch then I would just network the 2 computers and transfer. It does not take a very long time. No sense in spending extra money on an external HD if all you really want to use it for is for transferring data.

Ram000 said:
networking on a standard router w/ a standard network cable would be too slow and would take forever. get yourself a cross-over cable--it's like a regular network cable only it allows for way faster transfers. that, or either burn your old stuff onto cd's or transplant hdd's as mentioned above.

100Mbit too slow? Take forever? What are you using, a half duplex hub?

Just hook up the old HD to one of the IDE slots on the new comp and transfer away. You don't even need to bolt the HD in, just plug it in and transfer away. Fastest way I can think of.
Scott

mo_dingo said:
Just hook up the old HD to one of the IDE slots on the new comp and transfer away. You don't even need to bolt the HD in, just plug it in and transfer away. Fastest way I can think of.
Scott

thats what i ended up doing. now im just going to burn it all and delete most of it.

thxs guys!:nice: