Fox Concerns leaving battery connected when car sits a lot?

Used to do that too. I live where its cold and after reading have stopped that too. Guess its not good to start here and there and let it sit, moisture accumulates in the oil, exhaust, storage space etc.
Exactly right. I live in Minnesota, it gets cold. I don't start mine either, they sit all winter.

Now that I have a heated shop it might be different, especially if I'm wrenching on them.

• Sponsors (?)

Exactly right. I live in Minnesota, it gets cold. I don't start mine either, they sit all winter.

Now that I have a heated shop it might be different, especially if I'm wrenching on them.
Same thing with washing cars in the winter. They say not to wash them below freezing. Because the salt will actually freeze on and makes it worse.

To each their own. And I am all about maintence and taking care of things. But the 3000 mi oil changes, 7000 coats of wax, etc. I have just gotten to the point where my time and money is more important and some of this stuff provides nothing valuable.

Reactions: 1 user
Same thing with washing cars in the winter. They say not to wash them below freezing. Because the salt will actually freeze on and makes it worse.

To each their own. And I am all about maintence and taking care of things. But the 3000 mi oil changes, 7000 coats of wax, etc. I have just gotten to the point where my time and money is more important and some of this stuff provides nothing valuable.

“But the 3000 mi oil changes, 7000 coats of wax, etc. I have just gotten to the point where my time and money is more important and some of this stuff provides nothing valuable”

MY THOUGHTS EXACTLY.
Sometimes you just need to know when to cut the line and move on without bogging yourself down with non-priority tasks in life. I always say to myself “it’s not that serious” (and if it is then you do it) otherwise, keep it moving.

“But the 3000 mi oil changes, 7000 coats of wax, etc. I have just gotten to the point where my time and money is more important and some of this stuff provides nothing valuable”

MY THOUGHTS EXACTLY.
Sometimes you just need to know when to cut the line and move on without bogging yourself down with non-priority tasks in life. I always say to myself “it’s not that serious” (and if it is then you do it) otherwise, keep it moving.
That and toys are replaceable. Im not rich by any means, but do ok in life. I guess if a car blows up because of an oil change which they dont Ill replace the engine or get a new car. or battery dies after 8 years, Ill go spend 80 bucks and an hour to replace it vs plugging in and looking at it all the time etc.

Man! Let us in on the secret stash of $80 car batteries! They cost way more than that where I'm at.

Joking aside. I use a tender on my car when I think about it. If you are going to use a tender my only advise is to make sure you get a decent one that wont boil the battery. I also unhook the negative cable.

Reactions: 1 users
I have noco genius tenders, which seem to work well.

I haven't had a battery tender on my cobra for nearly a week and volts still showing 12.78 with both positive and negative cables hooked up.

On the 90 coupe I disconnected the negative cable and it's showing 12.50 volts.

Looks like I'll just periodically use the battery tenders.

Plenty of batteries for around 80 sams and costco have good bats for about that sometimes less. Im not an optima guy either. In general a quality car battery can be had for right around 100 bucks give or take, but to be fair after a quick check looks like covid has struck and made them cost about 10-20% more now than last year

Used to do that too. I live where its cold and after reading have stopped that too. Guess its not good to start here and there and let it sit, moisture accumulates in the oil, exhaust, storage space etc.
Been doing it with this car for 23 years and live in the cold too, in fact the Owners Manual for the car tells you to do it that way. Got 11 years out of my last battery too, was never on a battery tender.

Been doing it with this car for 23 years and live in the cold too, in fact the Owners Manual for the car tells you to do it that way. Got 11 years out of my last battery too, was never on a battery tender.
a lot of this stuff is wives tales, stuff carried down from someones dad etc and is no longer relevent. The other part of it is companies try and sell product

I knew I had read it in the Owners Manual before so l dug it out today and listed under "Storage", it says every 15 days but I just usually do it once a month or so.

Attachments

• Ownersmanual.jpg
    Ownersmanual.jpg
    206.6 KB · Views: 37
I knew I had read it in the Owners Manual before so l dug it out today and listed under "Storage", it says every 15 days but I just usually do it once a month or so.
I still don't do it. It should be dependent on location. Even getting the car up to operating temperature in a Minnesota winter will NOT remove condensation in the exhaust.

Also if you don't have a well sealed off area where your car is stored, a warm engine invites critters in.

Everyone does it different, but I've left mine sit for 4-5 months without starting them for 12+ years.

Reactions: 2 users
I still don't do it. It should be dependent on location. Even getting the car up to operating temperature in a Minnesota winter will NOT remove condensation in the exhaust.

Also if you don't have a well sealed off area where your car is stored, a warm engine invites critters in.

Everyone does it different, but I've left mine sit for 4-5 months without starting them for 12+ years.
Click and Clack discussed this, but with a car lot starting the cars each day to make sure the battery was not dead. Even not counting the weather in, they agreed 15 minutes was not enough to prevent extra condensation and wear.
Drive it or Park it, not just idle it is the plan for longevity.

• Agree
Reactions: 2 users
Click and Clack discussed this, but with a car lot starting the cars each day to make sure the battery was not dead. Even not counting the weather in, they agreed 15 minutes was not enough to prevent extra condensation and wear.
Drive it or Park it, not just idle it is the plan for longevity.
I remember doing that years ago when I worked at a local Ford dealership. It didn't bother me though, because they weren't my cars.

Right everyone does it differently, it can get plenty cold in Ohio for winter too but even the coldest winters still have days that get to the 40s or and occasional 50s so that will be the days l choose to start and run the car for 30 or 40 minutes. I sent an oil sample to Blackstone a couple years ago and they said my car had some of the best numbers of all the 5.0's they have on record and to just keep doing whatever I have been over the past 20+ years with it.

Reactions: 1 users