Condensation on Inside of Windshield

hethj7

Dec 19, 2005
Alright, as the weather got colder here I knew I would have to start scraping my windows, but when I'd get in the car, I noticed there was ice/condensation inside the car. I don't ever remember having that problem on other vehicles I've owned.

Now, after not driving the car a couple weeks (I was traveling for business) I fired it up the other morning. As I ran the defrost, I literally had water dripping off the windshield and onto my dash. Not cool.

Anyone else get condensation inside the vehicle? Do you think I have a broken seal somewhere?

• Sponsors (?)

Recirculating the air in the car with no dryer (A/C condenser) on will gradually increase the moisture in the cabin. The cold glass (of course) will condense that moisture.

Your problem sounds severe though. Were I you, I'd be checking the drain for the condenser to make sure that it's not being trapped in the air box (and being recirculated back into the cabin).

I'm not familiar at all with you all's HVAC setup but I'm sure someone else here will be able to tell you where the drain line is if you can't find it.

I do have a condendsation problem in my "05. It is primarily on the bottom edge of the windshield, but have noticed it on the rear quarters as well occasionally. I don't know about your car, but the defrost in mine sucks. There is great airflow on the center of the windshield, but significantly less in the driver or passenger viewing area. Dealer says it is normal.

my 86 f150 has a bad heater core. if you run the truck in freezing weather, the leak from the heater core will allow steam to rise through the defroster vent, and then freeze.

my stang has not had this problem, sorry.

I had this problem with a Nissan Pathfinder that had water leaking in from a rust hole under the back seat. I patched the hole and it stopped the problem (until the whole darn thing rusted away). I hope you don't have a leak, t hey are darn tricky to find and fix. Look for water getting in, maybe the kick pannels. Check for damp carpet/insulation.

Thanks for all the replies guys. There is not a ton of ice inside, but after letting the Stang sit for two weeks, it seemed like it had let it build up a little. I had to literally get a rag and wipe up the dripping water that was on my dash after the car had sat for two weeks. This was by far the worse it has been.

All this gives me something to look at. Unfortunately, I hate that I have this problem on a new vehicle, and as someone already said, it will be real tough for the dealer to duplicate this.

Thanks for all the replies guys. There is not a ton of ice inside, but after letting the Stang sit for two weeks, it seemed like it had let it build up a little. I had to literally get a rag and wipe up the dripping water that was on my dash after the car had sat for two weeks. This was by far the worse it has been.

All this gives me something to look at. Unfortunately, I hate that I have this problem on a new vehicle, and as someone already said, it will be real tough for the dealer to duplicate this.
Check the passenger side floor area for dampness. Some cars have a water leak from the cowl area of the windshield which drips into the Smart Junction Box in the passenger side kick panel.

Unfortunately, I am basically moving for work for the net 5 months and am leaving the Stang behind, so I won't have a chance to really ge to the bottom of this. The dealership has already fixed a leak in the car, which caused the passenger floorboard to get wet when it rained or when I washed the car. Maybe they didn't get it completey fixed...something I'll need to investigate.

Unfortunately, I am basically moving for work for the net 5 months and am leaving the Stang behind, so I won't have a chance to really ge to the bottom of this. The dealership has already fixed a leak in the car, which caused the passenger floorboard to get wet when it rained or when I washed the car. Maybe they didn't get it completey fixed...something I'll need to investigate.
It's possible then that there is still moisture in the undermat of the carpet.

Alright, as the weather got colder here I knew I would have to start scraping my windows, but when I'd get in the car, I noticed there was ice/condensation inside the car. I don't ever remember having that problem on other vehicles I've owned.

Now, after not driving the car a couple weeks (I was traveling for business) I fired it up the other morning. As I ran the defrost, I literally had water dripping off the windshield and onto my dash. Not cool.

Anyone else get condensation inside the vehicle? Do you think I have a broken seal somewhere?

I had this EXACT issue the first week I had my car. I finally had some time off to where I could address this at the dealership but it stopped after about 10 days. Haven't seen the moisture since. Weather has been all over the place here too.