Constant 12V Power Source

I am wiring up a black magic xtreme fan (and installing many other go fast parts) and I am unable to turn the car on and test with a voltmeter. I need a constant 12V source for my manual switch, is there any in the engine compartment or the interior?

I was thinking the cigerette lighter, but I am not sure if that is a constant 12V source, and if it is which wire is the +, I found there was not one wire red in it's pig tail.

thanks,
Matt

• Sponsors (?)

In situations like this I like to use an auxiliary Fuse Block. Painless Wiring sells a couple types, one 3-circuit another 7-circuit. Either one offers at least one constant hot circuit (the 7-circuit block has 3 constant hot), so that way not only do you not have to patch into OEM wiring, but you know exactly what is constant hot and what is switched 12v.

There are many, but folks won't tell you without more info (and probably trying to get you to change your fan switching method :p ). You have left this pretty open - there are a zillion sources.

Under the hood, a constant source is the battery. Please don't switch a fan with only a toggle switch (and no relay).

Good luck.