Conv. Top Fabric Pulled Away From Top Rails - Balloon Car!

pekoe1111

Apr 17, 2002
So I am driving down the road and a guy in a Saab conv. is coming in the opposite direction making funny arm gestures over his head at me. It wasn't until I was driving later in the day that I noticed over my head (with the top up) that the fabric strips that hold the top down against the metal rails had pulled away. The top was puffing up like a balloon catching all the air from the interior (windows closed).

Other than making my car look like a blowfish, is there a danger to the top coming off? I don't think so, but is there any way to re-attach the top to these rails?

Thanks

BB

• Sponsors (?)

The top won't come off, but it's certainly an annoying problem to have. Unfortunately the only way to really fix the problem is a new top, but there are quick fix solutions you can try. It should be possible to use a strong fabric glue to reattach new fabric loops for the rods to mount in.

I had an issue where the front rib came loose from my top as well. I went to a shop that specializes in convertable tops and the word I got was replace the top.

My top is 10 years old, but just like new since my car stays in the garage.
I purchased and tested over 6 different types of adhesive and the best one was readlily available and cheap from Home Depot.
The best product came in a two pack, red tubes, called 'Welder', a contact cement for fabric. This out did everything including high priced items from 3M.

Take your time and use masking tape on the top to define a roughly 3/8" strip that you will apply the product to and also apply to the rib part that connects to the top rib.

This is a contact cement, so you have to let it set up. Beware that it is permanent once you put the two parts together, so take you time.

Some advice, get some fabric and test it prior to use so that you get the hang of it.
Good luck.

jmenke,

Thanks for doing the research! I have not taken apart the fabric strip on the rail yet, but it appears to be a loop held in the rail with a strip that attaches to the top fabric. Exactly what do you mean by using the 3/8" tape?

Thanks,

BB

PS. Full confession - it is a '64 Falcon Sprint convertible...