Convertible leaking problems...ARG.

Got a few different leaks, gonna check the drain plugs/ door sill seams this weekend at my husbands shop to see if I can stop the magical wet moldy carpets I keep getting when it rains.
Since you have several leaks and it is to the point where it is causing damage, I would suggest taking the car to a good convertible top or trim shop. Make sure you take it to the best one in your area and that they are familiar with working on Mustangs and are not all snobby about preferring jags and beamers...

Now for all you fellow vert owners, a question to pick your brains. My husband is under the impression there is a way to "adjust" the way the top seals line up, but after searching and scouring all of SVTP, the Corral, here, and the all knowing but not always share worthy google, I could only find this thread, that was even remotely similar to my issues.
You can adjust the tension on the two snap clips at the front that hold down the leading edge. Other than that I do not think there are any other adjustment points.

The reason we are wondering about adjusting the seals themselves is because they all seem in really good shape, but leak at the joints, like the seals dont quite match up perfectly.!
Clean, inspect, and refasten the seals as necessary that is all you can really do. Perhaps you are missing some clips or trim fasteners?

Also, the windows themselves ARE adjustable. I am not sure if that is an issue for you but the vertical travel and the in/out at the top can be adjusted, the Haynes manual shows how.

I really think the best course of action is to take it to a shop but you may be able to correct it using the suggestions I made above. A better description of the exact leak areas with pics would help...

• Sponsors (?)

You might need to be a bit more specific about which seals unless I missed it in your question?

My vert used to leak around the front drivers side window seal sometimes right where the speaker is and found that it doesn't always seal up that well when the door is closed. I just make sure the seals and the windows are cleaned regularly and i haven't seen the issue for a while now.

Of course that doesn't help the rear window leaking :rolleyes:

See?! This is why I posted, becuase I knew somebody had to be experiencing the one of the leak I'm dealing with. Near the driver's sside speaker is one of the known leak sources. What do you clean the seals with?

Kilgore Trout said:
Since you have several leaks and it is to the point where it is causing damage, I would suggest taking the car to a good convertible top or trim shop. Make sure you take it to the best one in your area and that they are familiar with working on Mustangs and are not all snobby about preferring jags and beamers...
Have a couple shops my husband actually does trade work with from time to time that are familiar with mustangs, Thanks!
Clean, inspect, and refasten the seals as necessary that is all you can really do. Perhaps you are missing some clips or trim fasteners?

Also, the windows themselves ARE adjustable. I am not sure if that is an issue for you but the vertical travel and the in/out at the top can be adjusted, the Haynes manual shows how.

I really think the best course of action is to take it to a shop but you may be able to correct it using the suggestions I made above. A better description of the exact leak areas with pics would help...
Will take pictures this weekend, as my camera and I are about 2 and a half hours apart right at the moment. I am going to definitely try these suggestions first, see if I can reslove the leaks so all I hafta worry about is replacing carpet.

In another note, did find one of the mysterious leaks at the back seat drain plug being clogged beyond belief with sound deadening stuffing. Awesome to find one of them, Now hopefully once the known are solved with the above suggestions, and the rest of the unkown hopefully being other drain plugs, I'll be one step closer to not wanting to throw my great find turned lemon car off a short cliff. Thanks to all!

Hi,

I just make sure when i wash the car to open the doors and clean all the seals and windows with a damp shami and it seems to work.

But it could be your window needs adjusting based on other comments by Kilgore T.

Good luck and please share with us when you resolve the leaks. :nice:

I had the same problem. You can pop the beauty pouch off of the inside and remove the 2 screws. After that, take some water and pour until you find the leak. I use e6000. It allows you to see the inside of the leak rather than trying to find it from the outside.

Attachments

• 20200819_152532.jpg
    20200819_152532.jpg
    304.6 KB · Views: 64
  • 20200819_152553.jpg
    20200819_152553.jpg
    264.2 KB · Views: 70
It's obviously been said, but I'll add my $0.02 to the rear window replacement. I just did mine back in October.

For some reference; I've never done it and, while I am a hands-on kinda guy, I live in a very small apartment in a very tight garage spot and got it done. It's a major pain in the ass but you can absolutely do it yourself, don't pay the 1-2k that people do to fix their tops, I think my total was ~$280. Got it from RockAuto with the defroster and it works great!

Pick up a $20 staple gun from Home depot and at least 1k staples, I went through a little more than that. Measure 5 times before you cut! I measured twice, got frustrated and just went for it. My consequence is one small corner leaking in the car wash, but otherwise it's totally dry.

If you decide to do it this way, feel free to shoot me a message. I did it over a week while using my gf's car for work, but it can be done in 2 days if you're adamant.

Edit: Here's all the photos I have from my job.

Last edited: