CONVERTIBLES ONLY ( CAR AUDIO )

Id like to resurrect this thread.

I have a 93 vert. I just installed a Alpine CDE-175BT, Infinity Reference (REF3022CFX 3.5" and REF6522IX 6.5") in the front and JBL - GX Series 6" x 8" for the rear.

I only drive with the top down (vert snob) which means Im dealing with road noise, but I must say that im disappointed with the setup. I am not getting any low's at all. Ive adjusted the sound stage so the rears are more prevalent, but I still have a 80Hz high pass cross over to support the fronts which Im thinking kills any low.

The speakers are all driven by the HU, but I will be installing my old RF Punch 240.4 (rated 63W RMS per channel). While I think this will help a bit with the sound quality, I believe I will still have sound pressure level (SPL) issues.

Has anyone heard or seen of vert's using the factory speaker locations to install woofers? Any feedback on my install?

• Sponsors (?)

Id like to resurrect this thread.

I have a 93 vert. I just installed a Alpine CDE-175BT, Infinity Reference (REF3022CFX 3.5" and REF6522IX 6.5") in the front and JBL - GX Series 6" x 8" for the rear.

I only drive with the top down (vert snob) which means Im dealing with road noise, but I must say that im disappointed with the setup. I am not getting any low's at all. Ive adjusted the sound stage so the rears are more prevalent, but I still have a 80Hz high pass cross over to support the fronts which Im thinking kills any low.

The speakers are all driven by the HU, but I will be installing my old RF Punch 240.4 (rated 63W RMS per channel). While I think this will help a bit with the sound quality, I believe I will still have sound pressure level (SPL) issues.

Has anyone heard or seen of vert's using the factory speaker locations to install woofers? Any feedback on my install?

My 88 doesn't have a lot of room for woofers in the stock location in the passenger seat side panels. 6.5s MIGHT fit in it with a custom mount and shallow enough woofer; maybe the 90+ have more space (isn't that when they changed the rear to accomodate shoulder belts in the rear).

I don't know about the front door - I assume that would have as much space as a Coupe/Notch - you can always build the door panels out too, if you need a little more depth.

Since we have no roof, we don't get the sound reflections that make it louder - and the road noise drowns it out.

I think you need a sub. Better yet you need 2 of them. 12's. And 1000W amp :D

Reactions: 1 user
20170511_193038.jpg

speaker box in the back done nice and clean, one 10" sub on 500W..

• Hell Yeah!
Reactions: 2 users
Thanks guys. Im going to do a bit more research on this topic and see what could work. Unfortunately there is not a lot of info out here on verts and woofers not in the trunk or not part of a rear sear delete (which I dont want to do). Thanks again!

Just saw this thread and thought I would chime in. I have a 2012 vert with Infinity 6x8's in the rear factory locations, a set of Infinity separates in the front doors. The 6.5 mid uses the factory location and the tweeter is near the door handle. Each of these gets about 100 watts each. Also in each front door is a 8" shallow mount Pioneer sub in the factory location, each getting about 125 watts (low power subs), then in the trunk are currently 3 10" JL audio each getting 300 Watts for a total system wattage of 1550 watts. Everything sounds great and bass hits hard even with the top down. In fact I think the bass sounds better with the top down than with it up. And there is no problem having great sound even at highway speeds and the top down. I am, however, in the process of redoing the trunk and the 3 10"s will be replaced with 2 12's each getting 600 watts, so I will be approaching 2000 watts total RMS.

Attachments

• 20180217_152646.jpg
    20180217_152646.jpg
    226.4 KB · Views: 586
Just saw this thread and thought I would chime in. I have a 2012 vert with Infinity 6x8's in the rear factory locations, a set of Infinity separates in the front doors. The 6.5 mid uses the factory location and the tweeter is near the door handle. Each of these gets about 100 watts each. Also in each front door is a 8" shallow mount Pioneer sub in the factory location, each getting about 125 watts (low power subs), then in the trunk are currently 3 10" JL audio each getting 300 Watts for a total system wattage of 1550 watts. Everything sounds great and bass hits hard even with the top down. In fact I think the bass sounds better with the top down than with it up. And there is no problem having great sound even at highway speeds and the top down. I am, however, in the process of redoing the trunk and the 3 10"s will be replaced with 2 12's each getting 600 watts, so I will be approaching 2000 watts total RMS.
Do you use any sound dampening? Do you have any special battery or capacitor for that about of draw?

Do you use any sound dampening? Do you have any special battery or capacitor for that about of draw?
I sure would like a response to that. It seems like the 'verts died off in '07, well at least the sound systems did it seems. Just got a '17, first convertible, first mustang, and I've got to have sound! Hoping to get some, any, advice. Maybe I should try another thread.

What i did in my gf's fox body convertable. These subs are not very deep. Pan cake woofers would be best.
The enclosure is 4 seperate compartments two 12" subs, two 6x9" speakers. I also utilized speakers under arm rests next to rear seat and under the dash at factory locations. 6 speakers and 2 subs, total

Attachments

• DSC_1442.JPG
    DSC_1442.JPG
    249.9 KB · Views: 148