CONVERTIBLES ONLY ( CAR AUDIO )

JAA

Oct 2, 2018
Central MA
Id like to resurrect this thread.

I have a 93 vert. I just installed a Alpine CDE-175BT, Infinity Reference (REF3022CFX 3.5" and REF6522IX 6.5") in the front and JBL - GX Series 6" x 8" for the rear.

I only drive with the top down (vert snob) which means Im dealing with road noise, but I must say that im disappointed with the setup. I am not getting any low's at all. Ive adjusted the sound stage so the rears are more prevalent, but I still have a 80Hz high pass cross over to support the fronts which Im thinking kills any low.

The speakers are all driven by the HU, but I will be installing my old RF Punch 240.4 (rated 63W RMS per channel). While I think this will help a bit with the sound quality, I believe I will still have sound pressure level (SPL) issues.

Has anyone heard or seen of vert's using the factory speaker locations to install woofers? Any feedback on my install?

• Sponsors(?)

lemosley1973

Feb 18, 2019
Clover, SC
Id like to resurrect this thread.

I have a 93 vert. I just installed a Alpine CDE-175BT, Infinity Reference (REF3022CFX 3.5" and REF6522IX 6.5") in the front and JBL - GX Series 6" x 8" for the rear.

I only drive with the top down (vert snob) which means Im dealing with road noise, but I must say that im disappointed with the setup. I am not getting any low's at all. Ive adjusted the sound stage so the rears are more prevalent, but I still have a 80Hz high pass cross over to support the fronts which Im thinking kills any low.

The speakers are all driven by the HU, but I will be installing my old RF Punch 240.4 (rated 63W RMS per channel). While I think this will help a bit with the sound quality, I believe I will still have sound pressure level (SPL) issues.

Has anyone heard or seen of vert's using the factory speaker locations to install woofers? Any feedback on my install?
My 88 doesn't have a lot of room for woofers in the stock location in the passenger seat side panels. 6.5s MIGHT fit in it with a custom mount and shallow enough woofer; maybe the 90+ have more space (isn't that when they changed the rear to accomodate shoulder belts in the rear).

I don't know about the front door - I assume that would have as much space as a Coupe/Notch - you can always build the door panels out too, if you need a little more depth.

Since we have no roof, we don't get the sound reflections that make it louder - and the road noise drowns it out.

I think you need a sub. Better yet you need 2 of them. 12's. And 1000W amp :D

Reactions: JAA

JAA

Oct 2, 2018
Central MA
Thanks guys. Im going to do a bit more research on this topic and see what could work. Unfortunately there is not a lot of info out here on verts and woofers not in the trunk or not part of a rear sear delete (which I dont want to do). Thanks again!

Reactions: lemosley1973