Runit86

Aug 20, 2016
So I have an 86 with a 91 motor, the gauges didn't work when I got it so I replaced the cluster and fuses, now the gauges work (dash lights still not working) but the fan doesn't kick on and the coolant temp gauge pins to hot as soon as I turn the key, it's not the sensor because I've unplugged it and it still goes straight to hot. I believe it might be grounding out somewhere, Will that keep the fan from kicking on? The fans kicked in with the old cluster Is there something I'm missing? Anything helps

• Sponsors (?)

since the fox body came stock with a mechanical fan, we don't know how you have the E fan wired. Is it to a controller, a toggle switch, a relay? Did you remove a fuse or add a fuse, or a wire that sends key on trigger power to the fan circuit? I wouldnt be driving the car until you fix this as you'll pop a HG.

Reactions: 1 users
So I have an 86 with a 91 motor, the gauges didn't work when I got it so I replaced the cluster and fuses, now the gauges work (dash lights still not working) but the fan doesn't kick on and the coolant temp gauge pins to hot as soon as I turn the key, it's not the sensor because I've unplugged it and it still goes straight to hot. I believe it might be grounding out somewhere, Will that keep the fan from kicking on? The fans kicked in with the old cluster Is there something I'm missing? Anything helps
Ground the gauge sender wire to the engine block and report what happens...