Electrical Coolant Temp Sender Relocation

RekeHavoc

Dec 5, 2019
TN
I'm thinking about installing an aftermarket coolant temp gauge. I am going to install the new sender in the factory location and relocate the factory sender so that I don't have a dead gauge in the cluster. Is the general consensus to stick the factory sender in the thermostat housing? I've read that I can also place it inline in the same heater hose as the ECT or in the back of the lower intake manifold. I have a GT40 lower with the capped ports on either side of the back of the intake. I believe the rear intake port on the driver's side can be used, but the gauge will read cooler. I'm inclined to use this location unless there is a good reason not to, so talk me out of it lol.

• Sponsors (?)

I ran an aftermarket coolant temp guage for years. I put the sender in the stock location, and moved the OE sender to the rear, driver's side port of the GT40 lower. It read 1 tick mark cooler than the OE location. It was good enough for me.

• Useful
Reactions: 1 users
Have any of you guys used the SpeedHut gauges, specifically with the lime green illuminated numbers? I'm wondering if these would come close to matching the factory cluster with LED bulbs.

As noted earlier, if you put the sender in the rear it will read lower. I’ve seen about 15-20* cooler readings on that port. If you want it just to have the cluster show something it will suffice though.

Reactions: 1 user
It's gonna read just fine there, it may read a little higher till the stat opens but not significantly, most aftermarket gauges will move around more than the stock gauge depending on gauge face type.
Just make sure the bulb does not interfere with stat operation.

I would not recommend that location. It’s wildly erratic. I would certainly not recommend it for a sensor controlling the ECU or fan

I *temporarily* have my autometer mechanical guage hooked up there. It reads cold and less than 120 degrees until the t stat opens. Then it’s instant shoot up to 200 degrees. Then it goes up and down more than my ex-girlfriend at a frat party. 10 degree swings are typical. With it in the stock location. It’s rock solid

If this is just to keep the stock guage in the dash “alive” and have it read something, it will likely work fine. It just will not show the warmup until the tstat opens and then it’s instant

61E0FE6A-1F71-4938-8255-F79592EB1FEB.jpeg

• Agree
Reactions: 2 users
That's good to know, I originally planned on installing my aftermarket sender there, was relating what my plan was.
Years ago on another car I drilled a hole in one of the brass freeze plugs in the block, prolly a cheap gauge and don't remember how well it worked.
Sometimes my idiot light just ain't bright enough :doh:

I too use my autometer sender in th e factory location and moved my original to the back of the intake. I never even look at my stock gauge now, but Atleast it “works”.

Reactions: 2 users
I too use my autometer sender in th e factory location and moved my original to the back of the intake. I never even look at my stock gauge now, but Atleast it “works”.
I like that idea, I just don't want to build/splice into factory wiring. That would solve an issue I was not prepared for.
@RekeHavoc asked the right question. :nice: