Coolant temperature gauge

Art161

Sep 26, 2006
San Francisco
Does anyone here know if there is significant damping of the coolant temperature gauge needle?

That is, does the needle vary its position on the gauge with relatively small changes in temperature? Once my needle is at the center of the gauge, it seems to stay there while I am driving--uphill, downhill, around town, freeway, 65 degree weather, 90 degree weather.

I'm particularly interested in whether or not the gauge might give warning of a cooling system that was heating up, but not boiling over.

I don't know whether the temperature is really controlled within a small range or whether the needle doesn't move from center unless the cooling system is running extremely hot.

There is a discussion of this in Tech Correspondence in the May issue of Road & Track, but nothing specific as to the Mustang.

Thanks.

• Sponsors (?)

Yes, the gauge is heavily damped

All of the Ford gauges are so heavily damped as to be nearly useless. As you suspect, it would take a boil over for the gauge to really show a significant change.

If you really want to see what is going on with your engine you will need to mount another set of gauges. Once you do you will see the true range of your oil pressure and temperature, and you will understand why Ford damps the gauges so heavily. Without it, they would have a barrage of customers questioning the operation of their engines.