Cooler thermostat to solve pinging

Danny2v

Jun 24, 2019
California
Hey everyone, hope you all are staying safe during this virus. From day one I've been trying to crack down my problem of pinging with low rpm high load situations. Now I do have a bama tune, before everyone attacks me, I know, it's not the greatest but I've had great luck with them. They worked with my over extended periods of time to eliminate the pinging, but they let me know that my tune is very mild compared to what they generally do. Any other tune I start pinging. Rebuilt engine, copper plugs, new fuel filter, my last idea is lowering the thermostat temperature. Is it possible it would help out? I really want to run my tune more aggressively but until I figure out a solution to pinging I can't. Thank you everyone and stay safe

• Sponsors (?)

Don't install a lower temperature T-stat than the factory. IMO your effort would be much better spent to de-carbonize the combustion chamber.

Also what have you done to rule out clogged fuel injectors as the cause of the pinging? I have had great luck with InjectorRX.com

Don't install a lower temperature T-stat than the factory. IMO your effort would be much better spent to de-carbonize the combustion chamber.

Also what have you done to rule out clogged fuel injectors as the cause of the pinging? I have had great luck with InjectorRX.com
Injectors are rebuilt and so is my engine, there's zero carbon in there as it's only been 5k miles since the rebuild. It's just so odd that it seems like I'm the only one experiencing this problem. Cleaned maf sensor, new upstream o2s, every possible variable is checked off which is so odd. That's why my final option was to consider lowering engine temps a bit. I do live in California so it is often pretty hot outside

What are your STFT and LTFT's? At idle and under load?

Has any thought been given to the heat range of the spark plugs? What do the spark plugs tell you when reading the condition?

Does the pinging get better if higher octane fuel is used? Does the pinging improve if a small amount of timing is removed?

What are your STFT and LTFT's? At idle and under load?

Has any thought been given to the heat range of the spark plugs? What do the spark plugs tell you when reading the condition?

Does the pinging get better if higher octane fuel is used? Does the pinging improve if a small amount of timing is removed?
I have messed around with the heat range with no success. I will test the stft and ltft asap. The spark plugs seem to be great actually when taking a look, a nice even brown color. I'm in California so I'm stuck with 91 for the highest but after putting octane booster, I noticed no difference but that was likely because it was just cheap gas station booster.at the moment timing is pulled back and I have no pinging., But that's the problem, I know there's much more potential then what I'm running right now