Engine Cooling Questions before I dive in...

ArtscoolGT

Jan 14, 2019
SoCal
Cooling experts needed...

Hello, new to stangnet, finally have another stang in my garage, 1992 GT Convertible, original as it can be.

The car runs hot, meaning the temp is damn near HOT, noticed that when I bought it but didn't overheat, I have been trying to diagnose and fix the problem. New temp sensor to verify temp. New thermostat, nothing. Just swapped radiator and purged system... still running hot after about 15 minutes of driving it on the street. Gets hotter with more engine stress.

Before I dive into any further and change the water pump and probably break a bolt inside the block, should I check anything else?

• Sponsors (?)

Thanks for the replies.
Yes, swapped the radiator for a new one. I got one similar to stock. I figured that the car being stock should be able to cool with a regular radiator and new cap. I also checked that the air reflector and side reflectors were on place as well.

I will do a pressure test and get the reading of the water but the engine and water in the top hose does feel very hot.

Happy to report that, once the system was purged, the cooling issue is gone. I will most likely need to redo the water pump since it appears to be original and there are bearing metals traces in the coolant.

Reactions: 1 user
start with the easy things first
get a Lisle funnel and burp all the air out of the system.- have the heat on and the fan on high to open the heater core
Make sure the hoses are not collapsed
When the car gets up to temp the thermostat should open and the coolant in the radiator drop
If you grab the upper hose you should feel it get hot, the lower hose should somewat cooler
Check for any leaks with a rented pressure tester at 16lbs
If using a stock fan, make sure the clutch is working properly,and is not leaking
make sure the overflow is working and the line not pinched
check the cap that it holds pressure

if it is overheating that quick it is probably air in the system or the waterpump is on its way out, the thermostat sticking, or the clutch fan not working