Cooling system changes

JD1964

there is enough sticking out to grab on to
15 Year Member
Jun 28, 2013
Maryland
My DCC fan controller came in. I’m getting started with the install today.

I’m changing other things too. I’m changing from 192 t stat to 180. I’m pulling the humongous heavy Flex a lite black magic radiator / fan assembly and replacing it. It works good but it’s overkill and shaving some weight off the front appeals to me also.

A contour fan assembly will be used with the DCC controller. The radiator is a brand called Northern, a company out of central PA. I bought this radiator off of Craigslist used but in really good condition. $100. It came with an Flex a lite electric fan but that’s going on the shelf. The contour fan fits nice against the Northern core.

Anybody have Northern radiators or experience with them. It appears to be good quality. Here’s the actual piece I have. I’m plugging the trans cooler holes since my trans is T5

• Sponsors (?)

Northern has been around along time . My buddy used it in his cutlass when he did his ls swap and all these “ swap kits” weren’t around for everything .

Been 10.0 and street drove everywhere with that rad

• Agree
Reactions: 1 user
Here’s the northern unit. I’m making brackets for the bottom mount and using this universal chrome thing I had laying around for the top mount.
0FA0C0CF-D8E1-4CDD-AF7F-0AAB0F9A5B02.jpeg

Here’s the monster flex a lite setup that’s destined for the shelf for the time being. I paid $800 for this setup brand new.

8B19DEE1-5EAA-4D99-8AA7-DD77FDD78627.jpeg

On the shroud is where I mounted the controller. My battery is in the back so I ran the power wire to the solenoid. The ground was ran to the back of the block where I have a neg cable that runs back to the battery. I’ve wired up the ac controller and that’s been checked and it works by running the fans at 50% whenever the compressor clutch is engaged.

I have not run it up through op temps yet. Called it a day for now. I need to mix up some more coolant. I also got a decent volume overflow bottle that will be mounted in the spot where the battery used to be. As for the overflow tube for the bottle, I’m pondering running it way back to the center of the rear bumper. I’ve experienced coolant puke before and it wasn’t fun having the rear tires doused while at full throttle. I fixed the condition that caused the puking long ago but if it ever happens again, my tires will stay dry. Puke tube to the rear bumper from now on.

On the DCC controller there’s a connector for the ac circuit that runs the fans when the ac compressor is engaged. It’s the blue wire and I have that hooked up and it’s working. On the the same little harness plug there’s also a green wire. This green wire was not mentioned in the installation instructions.

Does anyone know the purpose of this green wire?

E7C66241-74B2-4E74-92A8-26FD5BF3418B.jpeg

Is the green wire on Pin 13? It may be for checking ON and OFF temps for the controller.

There is no reason to run at 180. 190 is the perfect temperature.
Also set the controller to run the OFF temperature higher than thermostat temperature. This will call for fans once the car has no air flow from driving, like when you are stopped. If the OFF temperature is set too low you will run into a scenario that is running the fans on the highway, which you do not want.

Rt jam, you are right, I missed that in the instructions. Pin 13 is for measuring the controller set point. This controller came set from the maker for a 180 thermostat and that's what I'm using now so there no need for me to make an adjustment there. I understand the debate between 180 and 190. Typically I run the factory 192 but since my ECM has a tuned chip and I'm running a Vortec blower I'm far from stock setup. I know that sometime running a colder thermostat can make an ECM not reach closed loop and turn control over to the O2's. But again, In my case I'm custom tuned and I have verified with my wideband 02 that my A/F ratios are where they should be in all driving conditions so I'm not negatively affected by running a cooler thermostat. On a stock or stockish setup, especially one with a stock configured ECM, I agree with you that the factory 192 thermostat is best.

Anyway, everything is working great. Northern radiator, Contour dual fan assembly, DCC controller, Dorman overflow bottle are all working great! I'm not sure how this controller knows when you shut the engine off but it knows. I suppose it recognizes the alternator is no longer spinning and battery voltage is all that it sees. While the engine is idling at operating temp you can hear and watch the fans gradually speed up and slow down as the controller maintains the temperature. The temp gauge needle stays steady in the same spot unlike other systems where the controllers allow the engine to heat up before triggering the fan, then cool the engine to a certain point before shutting the fan off. Not with this controller though. Steady temp constantly. The only time I saw the temp creep up a bit was after some hard acceleration runs I was doing to test traction issues I've been working on. But as soon as I resumed normal driving the temps came back down quickly. I also bought and installed the LED indicator that's offered by the maker. It lights up when the fan starts running and changes color according to the fan speed. Green at the lower speeds and changed to yellow and then red as the fans move faster.

It's pretty cool. For instance, if the fans are running at a higher speed when you shut the engine off, the fans will still run initially but they ramp down gradually and eventually stop. This happens within 10 or 15 seconds of turning the engine off. So you see, threre's no ignition source wire to this controller telling it when the key is on or off. It just senses voltage some other way and automatically knows the engine is not spinning.

The overflow tube runs all the way to the rear bumper. It looks pinched by the zip tie in the second picture but its not choked

IMG_5015.JPG
IMG_5017.JPG
IMG_5016.JPG
IMG_5020.JPG

Last edited:
  • Hell Yeah!
Reactions: 1 users
I suppose it recognizes the alternator is no longer spinning and battery voltage is all that it sees. While the engine is idling at operating temp you can hear and watch the fans gradually speed up and slow down as the controller maintains the temperature. The temp gauge needle stays steady in the same spot unlike other systems where the controllers allow the engine to heat up before triggering the fan, then cool the engine to a certain point before shutting the fan off. Not with this controller though. Steady temp constantly. The only time I saw the temp creep up a bit was after some hard acceleration runs I was doing to test traction issues I've been working on. But as soon as I resumed normal driving the temps came back down quickly. I also bought and installed the LED indicator that's offered by the maker. It lights up when the fan starts running and changes color according to the fan speed. Green at the lower speeds and changed to yellow and then red as the fans move faster.

It's pretty cool. For instance, if the fans are running at a higher speed when you shut the engine off, the fans will still run initially but they ramp down gradually and eventually stop. This happens within 10 or 15 seconds of turning the engine off. So you see, threre's no ignition source wire to this controller telling it when the key is on or off. It just senses voltage some other way and automatically knows the engine is not spinning...
Nope. It senses temperature & nothing else.
There is a configuration to tell it to keep monitoring with ignition off or on.

My FK-35 is not exactly the same.
"Connect yellow ignition input wire (pin-15) to any voltage source >6V when ignition is on"

BTW, my DCC is S/N #2, Brian's is #1.

Interesting because on mine there is no ignition source wire to tell the controller when the key is on. And like I said, the fan runs after you shut the engine off but only for 10 seconds or so. Seems to me if it were temp controlled only, wouldn’t the fan run longer than 10 seconds?

For what it's worth, I have the Northern 3-Row Brass Radiator (CR138) and can tell you the fit and finish is second to none. Car is a survivor, so maintaining the stock look with improved cooling was critical in my decession making process. Very happy with Northern. Good Luck!

Reactions: 1 user
Interesting because on mine there is no ignition source wire to tell the controller when the key is on. And like I said, the fan runs after you shut the engine off but only for 10 seconds or so. Seems to me if it were temp controlled only, wouldn’t the fan run longer than 10 seconds?

If the sensor was in the engine. Yes, I would expect the fan to run longer than 10 seconds.

If the fans are cooling the sensor, then yes, as soon as they see a drop, it's all over.