Cooling System Issue

prosbloom225

Apr 13, 2009
So my car is overheating and I get no heat from the heater. Temp sensor is fine, tested and working. Replaced the water pump. Replaced the thermostat twice(had a nonworking one the first two times, finally got one that passed the boil test.) The upper radiator hose is hot and pressurized when the car is heated up, leading me to believe the water pump and thermostat are working just fine. I ran the car to red line on the heater gauge and the upper radiator hose was burning hot, yet the radiator was ice cold, along with the loser hose and the heater core hoses. Is it possible that I have a clog in the radiator AND the heater core lines, or if it's in the engine how am I getting hot fluid to the upper rad hose? I've been working at this for over a week now and I'm stumped. Anyone have any thoughts?

• Sponsors (?)

I would say you have a blockage somewhere. Is there any residue visible in the radiator?

You might try getting one of those flushing kits that installs in one of the heater hoses. You hook a garden hose up to it and flush the system out while the engine is running. Squeeze the radiator hoses during the procedure to jar loose any buildup.
I would also replace the upper and lower hoses if they're original- they should only be trusted for five years or so. If the car has a lot of miles on it or has been neglected, you might even take the radiator to a shop and have them boil it out and rod the passeges. Many radiators are choked with sediment and "stop leak" crap from the car parts stores, and they'll cool a lot better after a good cleaning.