Cops are out in force!!!

Hey folks,

I just wanted to give you a little head’s up. I have been pulled over by cops 3 times in the last 2 months!!! I was pulled over by Los Gatos PD for speeding, Campbell PD for tinted windows and last night by the CHP for tinted windows. I can understand being pulled over for speeding, but being pulled over twice within the last month for having tinted windows leads me to believe that California's budget woes have law enforcement out on the streets trying to drum up some revenue.

Maybe the Mustang is a bit of a cop magnet, but I'm sure that isn't the only reason. This is my 4th Mustang, and I never used to get pulled over this much. I don't know if this is prevalent in other states, but I would assume that it would be. With this down economy, people aren't spending as much, so the city's and states aren't getting their tax revenue. So how can they make more money? Have their LEO's write more tickets.

Keep your heads on a swivel folks.

• Sponsors (?)

Are your windows tinted within the legal limits? In my state there is such a restriction on tints that it's not worth the time, trouble or $$ to mess with it. I see very few cars around here with a noticable tint.

Oddly enough the state police have windows tinted almost to black, so what on earth is the difference? If tints are unsafe or what ever why do the cops violate the law I wonder?

Peoples Republic of California

Are your windows tinted within the legal limits? In my state there is such a restriction on tints that it's not worth the time, trouble or $$ to mess with it. I see very few cars around here with a noticable tint.

Oddly enough the state police have windows tinted almost to black, so what on earth is the difference? If tints are unsafe or what ever why do the cops violate the law I wonder?

Only Factory tint is allowed on the windshield and front side windows. Even the Limo's leave the front glass alone. Getting nabbed twice for it? Why didn't he take the hint the first time is what I am wondering. Maybe its cool to drive a cop magnet but who wants the attention it draws?

I thought something like that only was a fix it ticket anyway. Like you have 10 days to correct the issue type of thing.

Only Factory tint is allowed on the windshield and front side windows. Even the Limo's leave the front glass alone. Getting nabbed twice for it? Why didn't he take the hint the first time is what I am wondering. Maybe its cool to drive a cop magnet but who wants the attention it draws?

I thought something like that only was a fix it ticket anyway. Like you have 10 days to correct the issue type of thing.

Gimme a break dude, I got the first ticket about 2 weeks ago! I was just trying to give people a head's up. Way to be an ass about it.

The ticket says I have until September to take care of it. It is a fix-it ticket, and I'll fix it when I have some spare time and money to take care of it.

Yeah, legal tint in CA is a joke. The part that bugs me is that if it's really about driver or officer safety, why are states allowed to set their own tint laws? What is legal varies widely from state to state. Doesn't the sun shine just as brightly in California as it does in Arkansas or Nevada?

Ive had 5% all around for 5 years here in good'ol New Mexico without any problems. Even had the car in AZ and CA without issue. But then again "professional courtesy" does go a long way!

Ouch i would be pissed if i got pulled over 2 times for tint lol. Although it is getting close to the end of hte month. I feel for the cops though i wouldnt want to walk up on some car and not being able to see through the windows. Is there a gun pointed at them? Who knows but with that said i just got my windows tinted 20% the other day lol..

P.S. IMHO there should be a law on having your windows down when your pulled over not on tint. just my .02 though should be our right if we want dark tint on our windows or not lol.

I understand its a PITA to get pulled over. But you got to take some things into consideration.
1. There could be a BOLO (be on the lookout, wanted vehicle) on a vehicle matching your description.
2. Some people can't see out of thier black windows and hit people/cars/buildings, yet get the black tint anyway. It's not the fault of good drivers, like the new cellphone violation, its the inattention of others which have ruined it for the rest of us.
3. It's a eery (sp?) feeling performing a traffic stop on a vehicle with blacked out windows. You have no clue how many people are in the car, or if they are concealing/pointing a weapon at you.
4. The blacked out non marked crown vics are more than likely surveillance vehicles. A tinted marked black and white probably has a K9 in the back. They get hot as hell back there with the heat all the electrics add to the car.
Don't blame PD for getting a ticket though. When you sign for your DL you agree to follow every law in the vehicle code. Many Californian's think law enforcement if being pressured into tickets. It is illegal to force a quota upon officers. Not to offend the OP, but if you knowingly installed/kept the tint then you've got tons of warnings all the times PD just drove by you. With the economy like it is, property crimes (burglaries, vandalism, etc) and crimes against persons (domestic violence, iden theft, robbery, theft/grand theft) are taking up a larger percentage of officer activities than observed activities such as traffic and pedestrian stops. I can't speak much for CHP though as they primarily handle traffic stops and traffic collisions. The tint is very helpful in the sun (105 where I live today), but it isn't worth the $100-125 cost (removal and fix it cost). I like your car btw. More of a chick magnet than cop magnet.

I understand its a PITA to get pulled over. But you got to take some things into consideration.
1. There could be a BOLO (be on the lookout, wanted vehicle) on a vehicle matching your description.
2. Some people can't see out of thier black windows and hit people/cars/buildings, yet get the black tint anyway. It's not the fault of good drivers, like the new cellphone violation, its the inattention of others which have ruined it for the rest of us.
3. It's a eery (sp?) feeling performing a traffic stop on a vehicle with blacked out windows. You have no clue how many people are in the car, or if they are concealing/pointing a weapon at you.
4. The blacked out non marked crown vics are more than likely surveillance vehicles. A tinted marked black and white probably has a K9 in the back. They get hot as hell back there with the heat all the electrics add to the car.
Don't blame PD for getting a ticket though. When you sign for your DL you agree to follow every law in the vehicle code. Many Californian's think law enforcement if being pressured into tickets. It is illegal to force a quota upon officers. Not to offend the OP, but if you knowingly installed/kept the tint then you've got tons of warnings all the times PD just drove by you. With the economy like it is, property crimes (burglaries, vandalism, etc) and crimes against persons (domestic violence, iden theft, robbery, theft/grand theft) are taking up a larger percentage of officer activities than observed activities such as traffic and pedestrian stops. I can't speak much for CHP though as they primarily handle traffic stops and traffic collisions. The tint is very helpful in the sun (105 where I live today), but it isn't worth the $100-125 cost (removal and fix it cost). I like your car btw. More of a chick magnet than cop magnet.

I explained to the CHP that I had just received a ticket for the same thing and hadn't had time to fix it yet. He was cool and let me go. But I purposely chose 35% tint to not be too dark. You can still see inside my car, it's not like I have limo tint. Look at my sig pic.

As far as cops not having quotas, I guess it's just a coincidence that I've been pulled over 3 times in the last 2 months?!? I think that prior to this, I've probably been pulled over 3 times in my entire life. When I got pulled over yesterday, there was a CHP on the other side of the freeway giving someone else a ticket. And I saw 2 CHP's on bikes on my commute this morning. Sure seems like cops are out more than usual to me.

It's possible that I'm wrong, but I sure don't think so. As I said, cities and states need revenue more than ever, and an easy way is for cops to write tickets. Sure, I knew that my tint was illegal when I put it on, but EVERY car I have ever owned had tinted windows and I had NEVER been pulled over for that before. It sure as hell seems like cops need to write more tickets, so they're going after people for silly things that they used to let slide.

And if window tint was really about driver or officer safety, why do the tint laws vary so widely from state to state? The sun shines just as bright in California as it does in Arkansas.

Yeah, legal tint in CA is a joke. The part that bugs me is that if it's really about driver or officer safety, why are states allowed to set their own tint laws? What is legal varies widely from state to state. Doesn't the sun shine just as brightly in California as it does in Arkansas or Nevada?

They won't nab you if you registered in another state for just those reasons. And your right I was being kind of an ass about it and I apologize.

California drivers have the most restrictive rules of any state in the union. Be it Alcohol, Tobacco or Fire Arms. Cars too. Nanny is watching...

They won't nab you if you registered in another state for just those reasons. And your right I was being kind of an ass about it and I apologize.
California drivers have the most restrictive rules of any state in the union. Be it Alcohol, Tobacco or Fire Arms. Cars too. Nanny is watching...

No problem dude.

SB's awesome by the way. I used to head down to IV every once in a while to party when I was going to Cal Poly. That was a LONG time ago though. I hear they've kinda clamped down on the ol' crazy Halloween bashes that used to go on down there.

Got tailed for about a mile by a CHP this morning on my way to work. I'm telling ya' they're out there people.

I hear they've kinda clamped down on the ol' crazy Halloween bashes that used to go on down there.
They have. Road Blocks. Have to show proof of residence to get past now. Unless you get there the day before and camp out. But like you, I lost interest in all that a while before it got big.

Cops seem to leave me alone. But then, I am not doing anything I know to be an obvious attention getter. Unless simply driving a stock looking GT is that. But I don't think it is.

Keep your tint...after all there's the saying, "when the heat's not on me, it's on someone else..." In this case, you are, unfortunately, the "someone else." Personally, I don't care for the tint since it does greatly reduce your vision at night...making it, realistically unsafe. If you followed the laws of CA with the tinting limits then you should go and fight it in court (70% of the time you'll win or get the summons reduced to something else)...if not, then you'll have to pay the piper...maybe you should get the tinting changed and never worry about a ticket for tinting again. I've had my share of speeding tickets...I knew the risk and yet I did it anyway. This is an easy fix.

Got tailed for about a mile by a CHP this morning on my way to work. I'm telling ya' they're out there people.

Sounds like somone trying to make their end of the month quota. When a dickhead is following me I just slow down more and more and more he cahn either pull me over or go on by. If one is tailing you like that they picked you out to find an excuse to issue you a summons. If you follow anyone long enough (even a cop) there will some kind of "catch 22" violation sooner or later.

Your a cop, and you pull over a car with dark tinted windows. Behind the tinted window is a guy with a gun, You can't see the gun and when the window comes down , you die.

This is the same argument I hear against tint all the time. It makes sense, but I'm sorry, it just doesn't hold water with me. Don't cops need to be safe at traffic stops in AZ as well? If so, then why are you allowed to tint your windows to 25% there? 25% is pretty damn dark.

If it's really about officer safety, then why isn't there just one tint law for the whole country? The sun shines just as bright in the East as it does in the West.

I had a good friend, a police officer, who died at a traffic stop. That's been several years ago and they still have not caught his killer.
I don't know if tint was a factor or not but it could have been.
Tint can be deadly for police who can't see a gun or any of us who happens to pass a thug with tinted windows and who is ready to shoot.
I don't tint my windows and I agree with laws that limit tint. I think they are reasonable.
No custom shop in my state will tint your windows beyond the legal limits. They know they will be held responsible if a customer gets ticketed.