Corbeau harness bar...schroth dot 4 point harness and racing seats on street car...safe?

killer5.0

5 Year Member
Oct 8, 2009
So trying to plan out my interior upgrades...currently have corbeau gtii seats which are nice but will eventually upgrade to a non-fixed back race seat with harness provisions. Ive been looking at adding a 6 pt bolt in cage but since my car has basically street and show duty the cage seems potentially more dangerous than without due to not having a helmet etc.
The corbeau harness bar looks like a nice piece and schroth makes a 4 point DOT approved harness for the street that has a provision to allow the one side to "stretch" and allow body movement similar to a 3 point in the event of a crash.
I know there is a risk of submarining with a 4 point but i dont see how its worse than with a 3 point factory style? And the schroth harness is supposed to stop submarining.
I hate the factory seat belts in both looks and feel and want to add harnesses but also safety is important.
Looking for some input on the topic because from what im reading it gets confusing. Not 4pt but 5 pt because of submarining. No 5 pt without a cage because you cant move in the event of rollover and your head will be crushed without a rollbar. No rollbar on a street only car because you risk head trauma if you contact the bar without a helmet. No rollbar unless you have a fixed back seat etc. Here is a link to the harness im looking at.
https://www.schrothracing.com/products/profi-ii-asm#1597

Thanks

• Sponsors (?)

Keep functionality first and foremost when it comes to belts, harnesses in a street car will drive you bonkers and you'll never keep them tight enough because you'll want to move around to use mirrors, etc.

There's nothing cool about doing something counterproductive to your car!

Reactions: 1 user
I'm pretty sure you may still want to leave the factory belts in, I recall someone getting a seat belt ticket while wearing a 5 point harness because it wasn't OEM equipment.

A harness and whatever method you choose to properly secure it will be a pain in your ass regardless. I had a 2" version of a 4 pt. in my red car. On one hand, you have to be sure that you are adequately securing the shoulder harness at the proper height behind you to be safe. Using that bar to do that is questionable when you think about it critically....I'd rather see a 4 point mounted in there with anchor points for the bar tied into the factory seat belt bolt holes, then use the cross bar as an anchor point for the shoulder harness.
Once you're strapped in, you can forget about spinning around to check for oncoming traffic. I actually used to slip the one shoulder belt off of my right shoulder when I needed to look over my left one to see if I could pull out into traffic.

Well these "safety" mods are more dedicated for "race cars", not wannabe race cars. Why have a reclining seat with a roll cage? You're putting yourself at serious risk if you do recline back whether or not you're wearing a helmet (which you won't be on the street). Not even padding the roll cage will help prevent you from scrambling your eggs in the event of an accident or roll over.

Fixed seat belts that won't allow you to lean forward to check side mirrors or look over your shoulder, reach HVAC or radio controls, etc don't seem like it helps in any way in a street car, only a trailer queen. In the chance that you cause an accident you will be sued big time because your modifications prohibited safety on the road for yourself as well as others.

If your car is a trailer queen show car then safety and practical modifications don't really apply.

Its been mentioned, but anything other than an oe-type dot approved seatbelt can get you a ticket on the street, so at least keep the factory stuff in for dor highway duty.

That being said, I'd rather have a 4 or 6pt bar over just a harness bar. If you're doing the type of stuff that needs a harness then chances are the classes you run will want some kind of roll protection too.

Its been mentioned, but anything other than an oe-type dot approved seatbelt can get you a ticket on the street, so at least keep the factory stuff in for dor highway duty.

That being said, I'd rather have a 4 or 6pt bar over just a harness bar. If you're doing the type of stuff that needs a harness then chances are the classes you run will want some kind of roll protection too.
I could be wrong, because I didn't read anything about AutoX or HPDE, I believe these are vanity modifications only (show car).

Car will probably never see a track. Drive maybe 500 miles a year (im in the country so everything is an hour away). Hate the factory belts and my drivers side isnt retracting right. Spent a few hundred on some "perfect" oem black belts that i couldnt even use. I mean my car has no back seat (rear seat delete) no hvac at all etc. If i get a ticket happy cop im sure he can find quite a few things to write me up for lol. I dont drive it much only nice weather and shows. I dont mind a little inconvenience but safety i do. Especially since my wife rides with me alot.
The main reason i wanted harnesses is the seats i want to run are a few grand i hate to think of the stock belt rubbing the bolster but it sounds like safety wise its the best option.