corvette c4 vs fox mustang

• Sponsors (?)

I can't speak much about the C4, but I have C6 Z06. After heads, exhaust, intake and a tune it makes 525/486 to the wheels. Not sure what your budget is or if you're dead set on a C4, but a clean, low mile C6 base coupe can be had for less than 20K. A C6 will be much more bang for your buck compared to the C4 in terms of performance. If you are looking at corvettes, I highly recommend the corvette forum. I'm over there and did a lot of studying before I purchased mine. There are definitely things you need to know before a purchase, just like with any used car, but that forum has a ton of info. A lot like here, the members will be glad to guide you in the right direction. The basic rule when buying a corvette is to buy the newest one you can afford. Obviously there are other things to look out for too, which is why I suggest you visit that site to see what's up with the C4's. I couldn't have one or the other, so I have both. haha. Good luck. Here's a gratuitous pic of mine to get you motivated.

DSC_0990.jpeg

Reactions: 1 user
Nice Z06!!!
I've been thinking about one for a while.
What do you think about a base C6 vs a '04 Z06 C5?
Wouldn't you say that a Z06 is about 2X the price of a base model of the same year?

I had a friend with a base C4. My modified '88 Foxbody outperformed it in every way.
However, base C4 vs stock Fox? If an automatic, get the C4.

Two very different cars. The Corvette has better performance, although not much better. I mean it sits a foot closer to the ground, has more power, and bigger tires. Depends on what you want.

Kurt

Nice Z06!!!
I've been thinking about one for a while.
What do you think about a base C6 vs a '04 Z06 C5?
Wouldn't you say that a Z06 is about 2X the price of a base model of the same year?

I had a friend with a base C4. My modified '88 Foxbody outperformed it in every way.
However, base C4 vs stock Fox? If an automatic, get the C4.

Thanks, I was shopping C6’s but clean Z’s are in the 30-35k range depending on year and mileage. The base C6 I’ve seen under 20k for nice examples. My hunt for a corvette began because of an email from Hagerty with an article about badass sports cars for less than 20k. The C6 base was at the top of the list.

As far as base C6 vs. C5 Z, I think I’d still go for the C6. In my case I was determined to have the wide body. That meant either Grand Sport, Z06, or ZR1.

I wanted the 7.0l so that knocked the GS out, and the ZR1 is still out of my price range at 50k+. Only 813 Z’s were made in 08 with the silver so I feel like I have a somewhat exclusive car. Parts for these cars are expensive no matter what model you get, but compared to the Fox, you get more HP for your dollar IMHO.

Don’t get me wrong here, I’m going to make my fox the nicest I can afford but it’ll cost more than my vette and have less HP.

Comparing the two bone stock and brand new, the fox body feels like it's going to fall apart going 100 and the C4 doesn't.

If you want an inexpensive Corvette that is easy to modify buy a 2002-2004 ZO6. They are in the mid to low $20,000 range and make 360 horsepower bone stock. There is a huge jump in technology, power and driveability (reduction in NVH) from the C4 to C5. The C4 was designed in the late 1970s. If you do buy one expect a lot of "Corvette waves" from 60+ year old white guys driving under the speed limit and wearing some combination of Corvette hat and/or t shirt.

• Haha
  • Agree
Reactions: 2 users
Thanks, I was shopping C6’s but clean Z’s are in the 30-35k range depending on year and mileage. The base C6 I’ve seen under 20k for nice examples. My hunt for a corvette began because of an email from Hagerty with an article about badass sports cars for less than 20k. The C6 base was at the top of the list.

As far as base C6 vs. C5 Z, I think I’d still go for the C6. In my case I was determined to have the wide body. That meant either Grand Sport, Z06, or ZR1.

I wanted the 7.0l so that knocked the GS out, and the ZR1 is still out of my price range at 50k+. Only 813 Z’s were made in 08 with the silver so I feel like I have a somewhat exclusive car. Parts for these cars are expensive no matter what model you get, but compared to the Fox, you get more HP for your dollar IMHO.

Don’t get me wrong here, I’m going to make my fox the nicest I can afford but it’ll cost more than my vette and have less HP.
This one is interesting. Limited Edition 2004 Chevrolet Corvette Le Man Commemorative Edition Z06, $23k.
This is the last year for the C5. It's a special edition Z06, called the Z16.
Has $6k in engine upgrades, 450hp (about the same as my '88 Fox).
My custom T5 is now equivalent in strength to the factory T56.
I like the body style of the coupe, it has a trunk.
cs--Car-101210239-63af80d910fa0bdb1834f9b11b35b815.jpg

Last edited:
If you want an inexpensive Corvette that is easy to modify buy a 2002-2004 ZO6. They are in the mid to low $20,000 range and make 360 horsepower bone stock. There is a huge jump in technology, power and driveability (reduction in NVH) from the C4 to C5. The C4 was designed in the late 1970s. If you do buy one expect a lot of "Corvette waves" from 60+ year old white guys driving under the speed limit and wearing some combination of Corvette hat and/or t shirt.

I have a friend who has one of those, and 2 foxbodies. The Corvette actually fell apart faster than the Foxbodies. The C5 is still my favorite Vette. The LS6 Z06 was 405hp stock. Shoot, a standard LS1 in a Camaro was ballpark 360hp.

Kurt

If you do buy one expect a lot of "Corvette waves" from 60+ year old white guys driving under the speed limit and wearing some combination of Corvette hat and/or t shirt.

Don’t forget a sweet pair of jorts and super clean white new balance shoes!

This one is interesting. Limited Edition 2004 Chevrolet Corvette Le Man Commemorative Edition Z06, $23k
Has $6k in engine upgrades, 450hp (about the same as my '88 Fox).
My custom T5 is now equivalent in strength to the factory T56.
I like the body style of the coupe, it has a trunk.
cs--Car-101210239-63af80d910fa0bdb1834f9b11b35b815.jpg

Just for reference, my Z baselined at 448 to the wheels (advertised 505 to the crank) before I had the work done. That car is probably a monster and is a looker.

The c4 corvette sucks.
We (as in foxbody guys), consistently outran them back in the day with pulley's, gears, CAI's, exhaust. While I realize that's not stock to stock, 25 extra rwhp, shouldn't have been enough.
The c5 zo6 is where the corvette begins to shin again. Not sure you could get more bang for your buck than one.
I personally like all zo6's, but that model makes the most sense to me financially (i'd rather have a c6 zo6, but i'd also rather not pay for it).

The c4 corvette sucks.
We (as in foxbody guys), consistently outran them back in the day with pulley's, gears, CAI's, exhaust. While I realize that's not stock to stock, 25 extra rwhp, shouldn't have been enough.
The c5 zo6 is where the corvette begins to shin again. Not sure you could get more bang for your buck than one.
I personally like all zo6's, but that model makes the most sense to me financially (i'd rather have a c6 zo6, but i'd also rather not pay for it).

In a straight line. The C4 easily murders the Fox on a road course.

With that said, the C5+ is the way to go if you have the money.

• Agree
I just dont think the corvette c6 is ever going to be collectible, no corvettes after the c5 should ever be. I would not pay 30k for a corvette c6 when there are a thousand on the road plus it seems like the c6 is outdated while the c4 is in the classic rare car era.

I just dont think the corvette c6 is ever going to be collectible, no corvettes after the c5 should ever be. I would not pay 30k for a corvette c6 when there are a thousand on the road plus it seems like the c6 is outdated while the c4 is in the classic rare car era.

There will always be a few collectible models. I like the C5 the best. I told my friend not to mess with his C5 Z06 because it would retain more value in stock form. It held no value whatsoever. You have to hand it to GM on the C6 Z06 though. That is not a regular Corvette with a few nicer parts, it's a whole other animal. Was never a fan of the ZR1. My top pick would be the C6 Z06 Carbon. If I could get one of those I would be very happy.

Kurt

The c4 corvette sucks..
I wasn’t to make sure everybody read this again.

I feel like even guys that own c4 vettes secretly hate them. They’re like the bastard years of corvette.

C5 and later are so much more worth the money. If you can stomach a c6 you’ll get the ls3 as the base engine. Just a camshaft And headers away from 500whp.

Reactions: 1 users
I wasn’t to make sure everybody read this again.

I feel like even guys that own c4 vettes secretly hate them. They’re like the bastard years of corvette.

C5 and later are so much more worth the money. If you can stomach a c6 you’ll get the ls3 as the base engine. Just a camshaft And headers away from 500whp.
But that depends, the 1989-1996 are better. For sure the newer the corvette the better they are but they keep getting disconnected from the road experience. So if you are looking for a sundays car to drive it like an old school sport car it will make you happy

I think the real gem is the first gen cts-v.
I almost bought one, but decided to sell off two vehicles (my saleen explorer and beater dodge pickup) to just have one f150 crew.
Enjoyable alone or with a family. Zo6 power.
The biggest flaw is the rear might as well be made of glass, so much so you can actually buy a kit and install an 03 cobra rear.

You can get a decent one for like 10 to 15 grand (or at least you could a couple years back).