Cost of Heads and Cams (Self Installation)

johnny_261

Dec 10, 2006
Hi Everyone,

I was just working on planning my build and was wondering what you guys figure it would cost me to install some heads and cams myself? I'm trying to get an idea of the cost so that I can plan a timeline for my build.

I currently have most bolt on parts and a GT40 explorer intake.

For heads I was thinking about the Edelbrock E-Streets and wasn't sure about the cam yet...But what do you figure it would cost me all in for the parts and all the little things such as gaskets, bolts, timing chain covers, etc.

Your help is greatly appreciated!

• Sponsors (?)

I'd plan for a few hundred bucks in supporting parts for the installation. All of that little stuff adds up quickly.

That being said, whenever I hear someone say "cams" when referring to a 5.0L Mustang, I tend to steer them in the direction of having a local speed shop do the work. Please don't take offense to it, but it represents a fundamental lack of knowledge as to how these motors work. If you want to be elbow deep in this motor doing a h/c/i swap, you should know it only has a single camshaft. Like I said, no offense, just continue your research before digging in.

I'd budget $2500 (assuming your using aluminum heads like tfs or afrs) and then be happy if you have some money left over.
Id only buy one cam though

haha thanks for the response guys. Don't worry, it's just a typo error, not a fundmental misunderstanding of how a pushrod engine works. I have friends with mod motors, so that's why cams probably slipped out.

I already have GT40 intake so I don't need a complete top end kit. Any input on the E-street heads? I wanted to go with aluminum heads for weight reasons, but I don't want to spead a huge amount of money, because I'm not planning on modding anything more than the heads + cam.

Do you think like $500 -$600 sounds right for supporting things for the install?

The E Street heads are supposed to be a good set, but they are intended for applications under 5500 RPM. From what I've read, it's because they have wimpy valve springs that can't be upgraded without machining. They also aren't smog legal. They are made in the USA though, unlike those so-called Patriot heads. :nice:

lets see, nice set of used heads-@ $1000. new cam-200, roller rockers, I think 200, head, intake, exaust and valve cover gaskets. probably 200. so $1600 add 200 for misc., might be a good time to add a timming chain set and hi volume water pump too. probably want like 2Gs saved up, stuff adds up quick.

Ok so you don't need the top end kit. I still have a complete set of trick flow twisted wedge heads complete with roller rockers, pushrods, cam, timing set, and a set of cometic head gaskets to go with it I would sell if you are interested without the intake. 1650.00

The E Street heads are supposed to be a good set, but they are intended for applications under 5500 RPM. From what I've read, it's because they have wimpy valve springs that can't be upgraded without machining. They also aren't smog legal. They are made in the USA though, unlike those so-called Patriot heads. :nice:

Ahhh, thanks I didn't know that about the E-streets. I really don't have a good frame of reference, so what revs could I get up to with a set of TF heads for example?

I'll set my target at $2G's then for this project. That sounds pretty reasonable to me. I'm still debating what I should do this summer....paint or the heads and cam.

The car I bought was low miles...but the paint is absolute crap and it's really bothering me - so I'm thinking about doing that first. Either way, they will both get done eventually....

While I am at it, what are you guys thoughts on buying used Heads or a used Cam?

What are the major things to look out for? Or do you think it's even worth it. Keep in mind I would be buying over the internet most likely, so I wouldn't be able to see the parts in person.

Ahhh, thanks I didn't know that about the E-streets. I really don't have a good frame of reference, so what revs could I get up to with a set of TF heads for example?

At least the factory limiter at 6250, but it depends a lot on the cam profile. More aggressive cams will need more capable valve springs.

While I am at it, what are you guys thoughts on buying used Heads or a used Cam?

My rule of thumb is to never buy used parts that are "wear" items, unless I'm prepared to rebuild it if necessary. An intake, for example, is not a wear item, it (usually) requires nothing but a little cleaning and paint. Cylinder heads, on the other hand, could have worn out valve seats, worn out stem seals, stripped spark plug threads, etc, etc. Buying used parts is always a crap shoot, but I'd be particularly cautious of heads and cam.

I'm sitting on a pile of parts for a swap this spring. GT-40x heads ($1000 new) B-303 Cam, Lifters, Pushrods, Gaskets, Head bolts, Cleaners, sealer, assembly lube, and other misc. I'm in for $1700 so far. And I'm sure when I'm doing the swap, I'll end up reaching into my pocket a few more times.
I agree with the guys about buying used "wear item" parts...Cylinder heads can go either way. I'd stay away from used, unless they are flawless, if you are looking to just bolt them right on. I've had used basket case heads that I got for cheap, that I completely rebuilt and ported. I got a better than new product when I was done for the same money...But It took awhile.
Research the parts themselves too. This car I'm working on has 1.7 Roller rockers already. I bought cylinder heads that accept pedistal mount rockers so I could save $200 on having to buy stub mount. Some heads require bushings or different size bolts. Some won't work with certain valve covers. You can save yourself money and aggrivation by checking into all the little things like that. Nothing is worse than finding out on sunday afternoon when you're just about done with the install, that something stupid is keeping you from tearing the tires off the wheels. Thats the one nice thing about using all Ford parts...they all just work.
Be realistic with your budget, and be realistic with your time frame...