could i benefit from LT headers and 3" exhaust?

Foxfan88

My Grandpa has great wood.
Sep 13, 2004
Miami, Ok
i have 1 5/8 bbk shortie headers with a catless 2.5 H pipe and 2.5 flowpaths dumped.

i got my engine torn down to the block and now would be an easy time to install LT headers (may be able to fish stick the headers beside the engine before i install my heads again. and have them ready to bolt up.)

anyways i could seel my current exhaust as a whole ready to go exhaust and use the money to buy a nice set of LT headers and try to find a deal on a LT h pipe, if not i can weld and wouldnt mind building my own exhaust system for my car.

so at my power level with the blowing making 9 psi would LT headers help me at all, i was thinking of getting the 1 3/4 primaries over the 1 5/8, and should i get the 3 inch exhaust, at the power level i'm at now i dont think it would hurt anything.

• Sponsors (?)

Longtubes will be a benefit.

The 3 inch exhaust will not.

Numerous h/c/i blown combination guys have not seen gains from a 3 inch exhaust.

A larger primary exhaust creates peak torque at a higher rpm.

so would i still gain anything just going to the 1 5/8 primary LTs. over my current 1 5/8 shorties??

i looked around and found the cheapest and best way to go would probably be the BBK 1 5/8 primaries and 2.5 collector,

I think longtubes are a little better, but if you already have aftermarket shorties, I would just stick with that. That is already pretty good flowing exhaust and it will cost you a lot of money to upgrade, enough to where I think it won't be worth it. But if you are going to upgrade to LT's, go with the 1 3/4 primaries and stick with 2.5 piping after it. I hear bbk's LT's are nice.