Coupe quarter window rehash #1273

CarMichael Angelo

my rearend will smell so minty fresh,
15 Year Member
Nov 29, 1999
Birmingham, al
Here we go again.......Only now it's my turn.

The Quarter windows on my car are absolutely trash.

Drivers side is sanded and looked like I could've saved it by sanding and painting.

Passenger side is Junk. Cracks go clean through the rubber to the glass itself. The more I sanded, the more obvious it became that I needed to bury it rather than keep sanding.

It appears to me that somebody attempted to repair these before, as soon as I broke through the cracked black paint, grey "primer"? started showing up underneath.

I was thinking that because the paint cracked, it caused the molding to crack right along w/ it.

Thought I had a replacement set from a local guy on C/L, but he looks like he might have dissapeared.

So here it is again, w/ some new questions.

#1 Has anybody ever used a urethane repair product to repair cracks in their bumpers? How did it sand? How has it performed?
(I would use this to fill in the cracks that I have now since opened up on the garbage pass window w/ a die grinder)

#2 I know that the covers are poorly recieved, but has anybody ever really tried to make them work?

#3 If I am able to mend the cracked passenger window w/ a urethane based "bondo," what kind of paint are you spraying on top?
a laquer based trim paint? or a semi gloss enamel ?

# 4. Anybody got a nice set just laying around?:rolleyes:

• Sponsors (?)

Mike, sorry the CL lead didn't pan out.... I used the two part urethane bumper repair kit once, but it was on a urethane bumper. Funny, I was going to suggest trying that until the craigslist plan.

As far as how the stuff sanded, it didn't really sand great, but it was sandable. It finished kind of soft and pliable which made it a pita to sand, but it bonded great and I was able to work it. I just knocked it down with 80 grit, then spot putty and high build primer. From what I've gathered on the window trim refinishing, the high build primer is commonly used.

I have a set Mike but I am not sure how good or bad they are. I also do not know what a set sales for but none the less I have them sitting in the trunk of the car. If you want them pm me your numner.

OK. After weathering the longest C/L deal to ever take place. From Allens' C/L referral on 07/6, to just getting them today, I now have a new question.

Having only had 2 Fox mustangs w/ these kind of windows, I don't know what the proper surface texture is supposed to be:

Smooth,
or textured like 60 grit sandpaper.

I obviously have the latter.:nonono:

I got lucky (after a 3 month search) and a got an NOS pair (1 was $200 and the other was $375), and after I installed them I got a call from a source for nice used ones that I had found early on in my search (he had misplaced my contact info). So now I'm going to have a backup pair as soon as he finishes restoring them (he owns a body shop and is charging me $200 for the pair, including the cost of the used windows). I bought a set of the trim covers and the fit was not good (would have taken some cutting to get them to fit right). I ended up trading the set for an NOS full size spare wheel/tire for my SSP. Good luck in your refinishing adventure.