Cowl hoods....who makes the best fitting/quality....what are you guys running?

killer5.0

5 Year Member
Oct 8, 2009
Thinking of getting a cowl hood. Prefer a 3". What are you guys running and how does it fit, quality etc. Pics would be awesome. I know there are alot of old posts but havent seen any updates recently.

• Sponsors (?)

Maybe make one post instead of several ..

But cervinis is usually one of the best. I’ve owned several with perfect fittment, same for harwood

MINES A FEATHER CARBON 6" LOW PROFILE LIFT OFF...

HITS THE SCALE AT A EARTH SHATTERING 11 LBS

BUT ITS A NOT A STREET CAR STYLE HOOD

I have a Cervinis hood. The fit is ok, but I had like 8 hours of prep work just to get it prime-able and it's still far from perfect. I feel like if I spend $600+ on a hood, it should be damn near ready to paint.

Reactions: 1 user
It's not clean, but this is probably the best I can do to answer your question. The fiberglass is not smooth enough to paint, if that's what you mean.
1526511754692.png

Thanks for the pic...have to see what i could do to finish that...i dont understand why they go through all the trouble of making a nice hood and not finish the underside.

It doesn't matter what company you go with you'll need to do some work to a fiberglass hood. Obviously hardwood, keenan and cervini like mentioned would get you a better quality hood initially over the cheap ones that are flooding the market. Eitherway though you'll be into a hood for some time/money to make it right and maybe the cheaper champion hood with the same prep and correction would be your flavor. I've gone the cervini route three times, hardwood once and champion twice. Cervini was my personal favorite because the quality is there, they are local so saved on shiipping and since they are local I can see the hood before purchase and no back and forth if the hood shows up cracked/damaged. Been there done that and the process sucked.

Agree with all above posts, don’t go cheap, I had a harwood that fit like a glove, wanted something bigger to clear intake and strut brace better and traded it for a off brand, have no clue who made it, owner said harwood but know he’s full of :poo: cause I’ve seen and owned harwoods before, anyways this thing fits like :poo:! I will be saving again to buy a harwood again

Right now im leaning toward the keanan...ive read good things about them. Only downside is the unfinished bottom but i guess the body shop can deal with that when the time comes. I found a pretty good deal on one with free shipping.

Most people I know (including me) run a cervini's. But they are in NJ and can be picked up directly from them. I had them bring mine to a show at Englishtown because they don't usually take 1.5 hoods with them on the road. (this was yearssss ago).
Hope you are tall, because 3 inches is quite a hood on a street car. At least an inch too tall IMO.

I run a 1.5, but in all likelihood, when I get the car painted, i'll remove it and go back to a stock hood, assuming it fits over my engine (it should, I've seen it)