Coyote Engine Swap

Fla-Mustang

Nov 17, 2017
Hello to everyone I am new to this forum and look forward to being a part of this community. I have a 1973 Mustang Convertible and was wondering if any of you have put a 5.0 Coyote engine in a 1971-73 Mustang?

• Sponsors (?)

Gateway Classic ‘69 Mustang - Coyote Wild! Photo Gallery
Share this photo
Back to Article
-mump-1202-06%2b1969-gateway-classic-1969-mustang-coyote-wild%2bengine-bay.jpg

7 of 14

I agree, it shouldn't be a problem as far as physically fitting in the engine bay. It has been done in another 71-73 car that has been featured in a few different places and we saw at Mustang Week 2016. Here is the only pic I took of it. As you can see, my daughter was more than enthusiastic about having her picture taken lol......

13754470_10208438409330702_3785487134640005390_n.jpg

Reactions: 1 user
Looking to get some of these rims for my 71, but according to the American Racing web-site they don't fit a 71 Mustang? Does anyone know if someone else does Magnum 500 style alloys which do fit, or if the web-site is wrong??

There are other considerations than just width to take into account...namely, Coyotes are rear sump...early Ford engines are all front sump to account for the steering linkage...its no big deal to fabricate/modify an oil pan and pickup to change from front sump to rear sump....but you still have to clear the steering linkage....which means a higher than ideal engine mounting....which in turn means tranmission tunnel modifications....the 3.7L also fits between the shock towers...but I ended up having to cut out the stock transmission tunnel and graft in one from a 2010 Mustang to fit the transmission at the correct angle. You may be able to get away with just some minor tunnel mods with a 71-73, but I am willing to bet you won't get away without modifying it to some degree assuming you are using a MT82, the ATX the Coyote uses, or even a T56