crank no start

Markmustang4.0

Mar 24, 2017
hello all
I have a 98 mustang v6 3.8 with 200000 miles,its been parked for 1 yr.
I tried to start it but battery was dead so I hooked up some jumper cables,it cranks over but wont start.
I sprayed starter fluid in throttle body and it ran till spray ran out.
I have no fuel pressure, ok so I started checking for power to fuel pump only to find no power,i checked for power at the gas tank where the the plug for the fuel pump is (yes key was in the on position).
I checked behind the drivers kick panel and passenger side kick panel,, there is no fuel pump relay.the fuel pump fuse is good checked both sides with a test light.
if anyone has any insight please help.
thank you

• Sponsors (?)

This is kind of what I figured. I'm not as familiar with component location on these cars but I can give you some items to research that may be associated with your issue:

1. Find the location of your "Inertia Switch". On a Fox it's behind the interior panel all the way back by the trunk latch. Google this
2. Fuel system relays and fuses. Google these as well.
3. You need a code reader. Buy one, they're cheap. Your car is OBD2.
4. 200K is WAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAY too long for a fuel pump. 100k is pushing it. Do not pass go, do not collect $200. Change the fuel pump, filter, and regulator. If the car has been sitting for a while, pump out all of the old gas.

I checked the inertia switch,i set it off on purpose and reset it. still have same issue.
I also googled and utubed for location of fuel pump relay, ive looked and its nowhere to be found. im not even sure it has one.

question if the fuel pump only runs for a few seconds when key is in run position, would that mean I would I wouldn't get voltage at fuel pump pig tail, I mean by the time I turn on ignition then walk to the back of the car to check pigtail for voltage, there wouldn't be any?

question if the fuel pump only runs for a few seconds when key is in run position, would that mean I would I wouldn't get voltage at fuel pump pig tail, I mean by the time I turn on ignition then walk to the back of the car to check pigtail for voltage, there wouldn't be any?

Correct. The ECU commands the fuel pump really for a few seconds with KOEO (Key on Engine off). This is to prime the system. As soon as you turn the key to start the motor, the fuel pump runs continuously while the engine is running (KEOR).

On your vehicle, the fuel pump is controlled by the CCRM module which is a group of relays that controls the fans, fuel pump, a/c comp, and EEC power. That's why your not finding a separate fuel pump relay.

I think you are right, after 200000 miles I shud just put a fuelpump in it along with a new fuel filter.
If you have a multimeter with memory capability (or min/max capability), hook up the multimeter to the fuel pump connector and then cycle the ignition from off to KOEO and see if it registers voltage. You can also test at the inertia switch. The CCRM supplies power to the inertia switch which then supplies power to the fuel pump (IIRC), so check down the line and see where you aren't getting power. A bad CCRM is not uncommon in these vehicles.

also ,I don't have power at my inertia switch.
Note. For the V6 model there's power at the IFS switch only during prime and once the PCM detects that the motor has started.

IF there is never key on power at the trunk IFS switch, THEN there's a problem upstream. Example:
  • Fuel pump Fuse or PCM fuse in the Battery Junction Box (BJB).
  • CCRM
  • For the 1998 GT model there's a two speed relay with a ballast resister.
  • ignition switch
  • Ground in the trunk, right and left radiator core support.
  • Wiring
Soooooooo for the V6 model IF there's no power to the PCM, this can also make an apparent fuel pump problem.

Want to rule out the fuel pump? Try jumping a fused +12 volts to the IFS switch. Does the fuel pump run?

Or ground the CCRM #18 (LB/O) wire. The CCRM should "click" and the fuel pump run (or at least power show up at the IFS switch).

Last edited: