crank pulley bolts

orange86

Dec 7, 2004
i have a slight problem, i bought a new balancer because the one thats on there has a small wobble and when some put on the underdrive pulleys they used the stock bolts. They are so close to the side that i cant get a socket on it and its too much of an angle to use a wrench. what should i do to get the pulley off. getting the balancer is easy, ive got the tool for that. any suggestion would be appreciated

• Sponsors (?)

if you have an angled box end that might work. or a 1/4" crows foot. that is all i can think of. is the bolt edge so close that you could not use a 'thin walled' socket? sounds like it is too close. i might hit them with some PB or a comparable product too - you might need all the help you can get since you probably wont have much leverage.

good luck.

I ran into the same problem when I bought my 91 years ago. I was able to get a thin walled 12pt socket on there (barely). I called the guy I bought it from and asked him what he was smoking when he put the pulleys on.. "oh THAT'S what those extra bolts were for!". Good luck.

When you re-install the pulley, use either allen head bolts or the fancy reduced head 12 point bolts with the built in washer. Either one will solve the clearance problem of getting a wrench in there to properly tighten them down.

i just said screw it and pulled the balance with the pulley with a 5 ton puller from auto zone, i just used another underdrive pulleyon the new one and i did use allen head bolts this time. Im still trying to figure out how to get that old pulley off

orange86 said:
i just said screw it and pulled the balance with the pulley with a 5 ton puller from auto zone, i just used another underdrive pulleyon the new one and i did use allen head bolts this time. Im still trying to figure out how to get that old pulley off
well that is easy now that it is off. when you toss it all in a blazing inferno, the bolts will melt along with the rest of the assembly. :)