cranking, fuel pump's priming but no starty

Boostedpimp

Dirt-Old 20+Year Member
May 8, 2003
NJ
Figured i'd run this by you guys since there's allot of good people on here that know there stuff..

car is a daily driven 91gt that has the following mods:

stock block/heads
trickflow street intake combo
trickflow stage 1 cam
bbk 70mm tb
pro m maf 75mm cal'd for 42lb injectors
green top 42lb injectors
cartech street sleeper/outlaw turbo kit with a t62e turbo

After the turbo install it ran like crap.. we set the timing three times still like crap but it had a large exhuast leak on the crossover so we tried adjusting the fuel pressure some and the two month old holley red afpr that we just bolted on snapped.. cheaply made for sure.

That prompted us to go with a Professional Products fuel rail and afpr kit.. Thing went on like a champ and looks good. Fuel pressure set at 40 psi the won't start.

During this time we got a killer killer deal on a Anderson Series 4 PMS, interach software, injector driver, and 3bar map sensor package so we plugged that all in and now the car won't start. We get spark, smell gas and the fuel pressure gauge reads 40lbs but no start. It will here and there stumble slightly during cranking which sounds like a carb'd car when it's completely flooded. With that in mine and being frustrated and knowing even though it's fuel injected we pulled the fuel pump relay and cranked her a little so to clear any flooded situation :)

Still the same result.. any body have any ideas? we've went over the wiring many many times and don't see anything that could be the problem... even checked the main harness to injector harness connection.

anyways shoot any ideas you may have out... and thanks for reading my novel

:flag:

• Sponsors (?)

alright, we removed the pms and that made no change.. we swapped the a9l out with another known to be good a9l and still the same thing.. next when we get time we're going to make sure that the dizzy isn't 180 :(

If you have fuel pressure and spark, your EEC relay is functional.

Be sure plugs are not fouled.

I like your idea to make sure you're not out of phase on the dizzy timing.

FWIW, if you floor the gas pedal while (and only while) cranking, it shuts off your injectors. This helps clear a flood condition. It can help if you have not changed your cranking-fuel parameter in the tune.

Hey if your dizzy is tfi does that send signal to pcm to say lets go and the mass air say to pcm i need this much?maybe tfi mod.just trying to learn fill me in

The service manual you seem to reference should have a detailed run-down of the system.

The PIP goes through the TFI and then the signal goes to the EEC. It is modified and sent back to the TFI and then to the coil.

The injectors receive accessory 12 volts and the ground to them is what is modulated (and driven).

If his TFI module was acting up, he would not have spark.

Yes it does tell .it must skip so basics.like i said im learning and i did say plugs also.your knowage is much higher than mine .in eec4 no start it went from spark is good spout was next .if spout is fail than pip.if spout pass go to mass air.in fuel injector it looks like u need a breakout box. Can a test like on inject while cranking work or those injector lite kits?can his 3bar stop or any mass air stop pulse.speed pressure and temp sensor can they cause no start?

If you have fuel pressure and spark, your EEC relay is functional.

Be sure plugs are not fouled.

I like your idea to make sure you're not out of phase on the dizzy timing.

FWIW, if you floor the gas pedal while (and only while) cranking, it shuts off your injectors. This helps clear a flood condition. It can help if you have not changed your cranking-fuel parameter in the tune.

Yeah when we do the timing again i'll be pulling plug #1 so we'll see if she's soaked or not.. should be tonite last night got taken up with a syty hooters meet.

Yeah we tried the floor/pedal technique and we pulled the fuel pump relay as well but didn't seem to help at all.. ecm relay checked out fine as well.

After studying i understand .am i correct with saying pip is first signal to pcm to start injectors.than if pin test a eec4 no start is proper step by step than thats were it got me.closer look its a short in harmess or maf.it says ck volts while cranking pin 36 spout to ground should get 3to6 volts if not ck pin 16 to pin 56 should be yes.so test shows you can have spark with problem still in pip area