Foxybody95

Sep 14, 2015
Hey guys, I'm building a big bore 347 to make somewhere in between 800-1000hp, I know there are some high dollar cranks out there that can do the job but dont really fit the budget. I was looking at internally balanced cranks from Callies, Lunati, Eagle, and Scat and as far as my research goes I'm really leaning towards the Lunati Voodoo crank. I already know that eagle and scat are Chinese and can be hit or miss but from my understanding the Callies Compstar and Lunati Voodoo are also Chinese just machined in the US so they are typically a better quality. However the Callies Compstar is a $1000 crank while the Lunati Voodoo is a $600 crank. Is there really a reason to go with the Callies over the Lunati? I'm trying to figure out where that extra cost is factored in.

• Sponsors (?)

Lunati makes a nice crank - they used to make a pro series which is killer . We made over 1400 at the tire with one .

You cannot go wrong with the Callie’s - if I was doing one right now I’d have a Callie’s in it .

I have a big bore 347 I originally built about 5-6 years ago now . It has rpm rods and crank in it . At the time I was new to high hp stuff so that’s what the original builder used, I’d have done a Callie’s knowing what I know now . It’s served me well though so far . In a buddies race car we had the same crank go 5.04 to the 1/8 and spin 8500 with no issue.

Reactions: 1 user
Lunati makes a nice crank - they used to make a pro series which is killer . We made over 1400 at the tire with one .

You cannot go wrong with the Callie’s - if I was doing one right now I’d have a Callie’s in it .

I have a big bore 347 I originally built about 5-6 years ago now . It has rpm rods and crank in it . At the time I was new to high hp stuff so that’s what the original builder used, I’d have done a Callie’s knowing what I know now . It’s served me well though so far . In a buddies race car we had the same crank go 5.04 to the 1/8 and spin 8500 with no issue.
Good to know Lunati is quality. Still confused as to why this crank is priced even better than eagle and scat and significantly cheaper than the Compstar. I feel like thats a glaring red flag and I was curious if anyone on this page has ran one before.

I run a Callie's crank in my race car. 8,400 rpm max and close to 1,400 HP. No problems.
NCM_0072.JPG

Good to know Lunati is quality. Still confused as to why this crank is priced even better than eagle and scat and significantly cheaper than the Compstar. I feel like thats a glaring red flag and I was curious if anyone on this page has ran one before.
I’m not sure on that particular one . We used to run a pro series which that is not . I don’t think is shy away from using it though

Look at the price on there site, then at most of there dealers selling it much higher.... Lunati, doesn't get the advertising it used to. I've picked up a few things dirt cheap new when they price it to move inventory, also the way they advertise them with the bearing notes confuse people who don't know engines.... Got a few brand new lunati parts for way less then retail over the last few years.

Reactions: 1 users
Look at the price on there site, then at most of there dealers selling it much higher.... Lunati, doesn't get the advertising it used to. I've picked up a few things dirt cheap new when they price it to move inventory, also the way they advertise them with the bearing notes confuse people who don't know engines.... Got a few brand new lunati parts for way less then retail over the last few years.
That's honestly what I thought as well, also the fact that its a 2 piece rear main might deter people who dont realize you can just grind the oil slinger off. I called up AMS racing whose selling the voodoo crank along with a set of voodoo rods for $1100 asked them to remove the oil slinger which they only charged $75 for and ordered it. Called Lunati and asked them about what bearings they recommended and ordered them too. Lunati actually seems pretty proud of this crankshaft. They say it will hold 1000 and 7000+ rpm pretty easily. Sounds like one hell of a deal to me.

Any of those forged 4340 cranks will handle up to 1500ish hp without much of a problem. Lunati, Callie’s compstar, rpm, molnar, etc.

I don’t know what you plan on doing, but get the snout double keyed regardless.

Any of those forged 4340 cranks will handle up to 1500ish hp without much of a problem. Lunati, Callie’s compstar, rpm, molnar, etc.

I don’t know what you plan on doing, but get the snout double keyed regardless.
Already ordered it, I'd have to take it to a machine shop to get it double keyed. I'm not using a blower its a turbo set up so I didnt think it was necessary.

Already ordered it, I'd have to take it to a machine shop to get it double keyed. I'm not using a blower its a turbo set up so I didnt think it was necessary.
Is it going to machine shop to get balanced? Imo a double key is always a good idea. When woody did my engine it was only $35.