Crate engine suggestions or build engine suggestions

demetri e

Jun 22, 2013
Got a 91 lx 5.0 from someone few years ago has some minor mods , no clue mileage or info on the engine , first problem is its leaking oil , of I'm gonna start ripping things apart it would be better to go with a crate coyote would be first choice,l but can be pricey or should I go with like a boss 331 stroker which I would eventually turbo or supercharge , anybody have any luck with dss built engines? Or should I just save for a coyote swap

• Sponsors (?)

Got a 91 lx 5.0 from someone few years ago has some minor mods , no clue mileage or info on the engine , first problem is its leaking oil , of I'm gonna start ripping things apart it would be better to go with a crate coyote would be first choice,l but can be pricey or should I go with like a boss 331 stroker which I would eventually turbo or supercharge , anybody have any luck with dss built engines? Or should I just save for a coyote swap
You should fix the oil leak

Ok, some things to think about, budget, intent, skills.
Crate engines, 5.0 is plug and play with a warranty.
Coyote is gonna cost, not just for the install stuff but brake and suspension upgrade, rebuild. Which is usually needed anyway.
Check out the engine you have now, compression test, that kind of thing. Too many intended projects get sold off because of poor planning.

Reactions: 4 users
I just don't wanna pay to get all gsskets changed and engine craps out or has issues , unless I try and do some myseld

There is no logic in:

:" My engine has an oil leak.....should I spend 10,000.00 to buy this engine to fix it?"

And for the record....nobody should buy a 30 year old car that cannot do what needs to done themselves...

Reactions: 2 users
I would rebuild what you have if your going to tear it down and inspect it, that way you know exactly what you have, crate engines are nice but, I would still disassemble a crate engine to inspect it because, if it was built on a Monday or Friday they still can come apart

• Haha
Reactions: 1 user
I will add my two cents here, being fresh off an engine swap. I decided to swap in a 347, as it would be plug and play with my old 302. But while I was doing it, I realized I need new engine mounts as the old stockers were torn. While Im doing the engine, I may as well match the trans mount with the engine mounts. And my stock headers would be very restrictive, so I needed new headers too. My fuel injectors and MAF needed upgraded to keep the stroker from going lean. My stock throttle body would restrict power as well, so I better upgrage that. Ah, stock radiator struggles to keep a hot combo cool, needs upgraded too. Crap my old water pump is junk and fused to the old block. New engine deserves a new clutch right? New clutch needs either a new or at least resurfaced flywheel. Crap, that added power requires more fuel. Need to drop in a bigger fuel pump. Wow this 27 year old tank is really rusty inside. Better get a new tank and fuel gauge sending unit, or I may end up running rust through my new injectors and engine. Well, now its time for a dyno tune, better install a wideband so they can tune it properly. Whats that, my 27 year old ignition is cutting out? New distributor, coil, plug wires it is. Hey, this power is nice, but I cant stop very well with these stock brakes! And my suspension has the car all over the road when I floor it now!

My point is that dropping in a fresh crate engine will be the snow flake that started the snowball the size of a house. Everything else is so old and worn out on the car, you will replace all the things you would while doing a coyote swap if you want the car to function safely and correctly. Fix what you have, or be prepared to spend $6k, then $8k, then $10k+ in a hurry whether its with a crate engine or coyote swap.

Last edited:
  • Winner
  • Agree
Reactions: 7 users
I would rebuild what you have if your going to tear it down and inspect it, that way you know exactly what you have, crate engines are nice but, I would still disassemble a crate engine to inspect it because, if it was built on a Monday or Friday they still can come apart

Dude, tearing apart a factory ford assembled crate engine to inspect it, is the same as buying a 2018 GT, pulling that engine, and taking it apart.

• Agree
What? You think people should buy an old car to pay people to do the stuff that's the cars going to need done then?

That's why they keep building new cars..with a warranty.

Yes, its a completely ridiculous statement. Just because someone doesn't have any mechanical ability or desire to do the work doesn't mean they shouldn't be able to enjoy old cars.

Yes, its a completely ridiculous statement. Just because someone doesn't have any mechanical ability or desire to do the work doesn't mean they shouldn't be able to enjoy old cars.
Yeah, I guess.

How enjoyable is paying 1000.00 for something that you could've done yourself?
If somebody is too " busy" to learn about the car they covet...they need to realize that they'd enjoy a higher monthly payment on the new car they don't have to pay somebody to fix.

Compression test on current old oiled down engine... when those results come back and the engine is fine then get your hands dirty fixing the gaskets and drive the car.

There is no logic in:

:" My engine has an oil leak.....should I spend 10,000.00 to buy this engine to fix it?"

And for the record....nobody should buy a 30 year old car that cannot do what needs to done themselves...
You are absolutely right and there can be no disputing these words of wisdom and truth.

However, there are hordes of the unskilled and unwise guys that will do it anyway. I run into them on a biweekly basis when there is a post on computer or electrical problems wanting an answer...

• Agree
Reactions: 1 users
Spend some time trying to fix the leak, learn everything you can about your project. It takes time, a lot of time and tools to restore a car. Before I would buy a new engine, I would make sure everything else that can and needs repaired is done. It gives you time to make and change a lot of plans. I would hate to buy a house, put a new roof on it, then find out the foundation is crumbling.

• Agree
seems none of the mail order engine builders have stellar reviews.

Theme I see is buy a kit and DIY it find a reputable engine builder. I might have to go that route. Problem is I need to tear my engine out first and disassemble it. I was trying to minimize downtime