curious??

5.slowmaroon

Apr 8, 2009
i was in my car the other day and i thought to myself, what could possibly be as fast or faster, stock, than my mustang. any suggestions? i ran a 14 flat without tires, with tires somewhere along the lines of 13.5's. i know there are lots of cars, but im talkin like a 95 firebird or something?

• Sponsors (?)

Not totally all cars built in the last 10yrs..

some examples..

2011 Dodge challenger V6 14.8 1/4 @ 94.8 rated @ 305 hp

2011 Chevy camaro V6 14.5 1/4 @ 98.2 rated @ 312 hp

2010 Mazda speed 3 14.3 1/4 @ 98.9 rated @ 263 hp

2010 Buick Lacrosse 15.1 1/4 @ 94 rated @ 280 hp

2010 Ford Taurus SHO 14.0 1/4 @ 100.4 rated @ 365 hp

2010 Acura TSX V6 14.6 1/4 @ 99 rated @ 280 hp

2010 Lincoln MKS 15.7 1/4 @ 90 rated @ 275 hp

2009 Pontiac G8 15.4 1/4 @ 92 rated @ 256 hp

2009 BMW 328i 14.6 1/4 @ 96 rated @ 230 hp

2009 Infiniti G37 14.0 1/4 @ 102 rated @ 328 hp

2009 Audi A4 2.0T 15.0 1.4 rated @ 211 hp

2004 Pontiac GTO 14.0 1/4 @ 102 rated @ 350 hp

most of your average family sedans out there are in the 14.2-15.0 1/4 range they are heavy and the V6 they have in them are slow of the line. Stock evo's and sti's are in the 13.8 range Most the of mini vans are in the 17.0 + 1/4 range ( since some have said a mini van could take us)

It's funny how much MORE power cars make these days, but actual 1/4 mile performance has really not increased that much. I think that has a lot to do with the sheer weight of these behemoths.

Agreed, along with gearing and transmissions. The manufacturers are just trying to compete and play along with the current HP wars, but aren't putting any R&D into making them track machines, but rather giving the owners SOTP feelings at speeds such as freeways.

It's funny how much MORE power cars make these days, but actual 1/4 mile performance has really not increased that much. I think that has a lot to do with the sheer weight of these behemoths.

so very true and the fact that alot of the motors are very slow of the line vs a rolling start. Just funy how many topics have been brought up about a typical family car will take a fox or most cars on the road. given the fact that the fox stang is basically a 18+yo car but is still quick enough stock, light and only a few bolt ons away from being faster.

weight examples..

2009 Infiniti M45 V8 4053lbs

'10 Buick Lacrosse 4056lbs

'04 GTO 3821lbs

'10 Honda accord 4cyl 3335lbs

'10 SHO 4361lbs

The new G37x will pull a high 13 stock at the track. The RWD 6-spd is good for mid to low 13's with good driver. They aren't that heavy, around 3400 pounds, and have 330 HP

EDIT: this is the 4-door. They are lighter than the 2 door and a little quicker

The new G37x will pull a high 13 stock at the track. The RWD 6-spd is good for mid to low 13's with good driver. They aren't that heavy, around 3400 pounds, and have 330 HP

EDIT: this is the 4-door. They are lighter than the 2 door and a little quicker

yeah they are pretty quick and the weight to hp is very good. I read a test awhile back against the G37x and sho, the sho having about a 37hp advantage but the hp was lossed to too much weight. 1/4 times where a 13.8 @ 101.4 for the G and 14.2 @ 99.1 for the sho ( pretty close to the 1/4 times I posted above from a different source and pitiful).

Im suprised nobody has made any mention about torque. Sure, the cars listed above may make more horsepower, but its the torque that gets them moving. The high-winding import motors just dont make the torque that a 5.0 does, do they? :shrug:

The Nissan VQ 3.5 and 3.7 are very torquey motors. They are in the 270-280 ft-lbs range and it's down low too. Very torquey motor for a v6. Plants you in the seat off the line.

By today's standards. Foxes are slow. Sure these sedans run the same et, but they do it with heated seats, navi, leather, ac, backup cameras, advanced cruise, etc etc.

I have a good vid of me racing a stock gt with some basic mods and gutted interior and winning.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yehmylamrk8&feature=youtube_gdata_player

There are cars that do, but soft suspensions and tq management systems sap the life from them. Not counting the mustang the 4th gen f-body was the last of the 1/4 mile cars imho.

The Nissan VQ 3.5 and 3.7 are very torquey motors. They are in the 270-280 ft-lbs range and it's down low too. Very torquey motor for a v6. Plants you in the seat off the line.

By today's standards. Foxes are slow. Sure these sedans run the same et, but they do it with heated seats, navi, leather, ac, backup cameras, advanced cruise, etc etc.

I have a good vid of me racing a stock gt with some basic mods and gutted interior and winning. I'll post in a few

true enough but by the same token these have had a chance to evolve and the majority of V6 stuff isn't torquey. the honda accords, nissans, etc of the same period where void anything comfort and HP. It's still hard in my book to compare a 18+ yo car to modern stuff, so it's fair to say a fox should have a chance to evolve at the very least with some minor bolt ons and hand it to most of the stuff on the road. If you really want to beat the heck out of most stuff rolling on the streets in comfort by a fully loaded '11 5.0. :D

Well, yes, that would be today's muscle cars.

What fox 5.0s were doing to hondas and nissans in the 80s is what they do to them today.

I wouldn't say these new sedans handle poorly either. They are very sport orientated. If you can't tell, I'm an Infiniti fan and have driven a few g37 sedans. They handle extremely well and carry nice big brakes too. They aren't 80s daddy's floating over the bumps. Even the new sho I drove handled quite well for it's size

Im suprised nobody has made any mention about torque. Sure, the cars listed above may make more horsepower, but its the torque that gets them moving. The high-winding import motors just dont make the torque that a 5.0 does, do they? :shrug:

V8 guys get hung up on the torque thing, but a high revving, low torque car can be geared to make just as much effective torque at the wheels as what a low revving, high torque car does. It's all in the combo.

I wouldn't say these new sedans handle poorly either. They are very sport orientated. If you can't tell, I'm an Infiniti fan and have driven a few g37 sedans. They handle extremely well and carry nice big brakes too. They aren't 80s daddy's floating over the bumps. Even the new sho I drove handled quite well for it's size

I agree with this 100%. My '06 Fusion SE has excellent brakes and handles pretty well for a midsize four door. It has a very comfortable ride and at the same time has very responsive steering. Of course, being a FWD car, it has a tendency to understeer when I'm pushing it. Its brakes are light years ahead of stock Fox brakes.

Ha, not really sure what I'm seeing in that video. Show me dyno numbers and track times and maybe I'll be impressed.

BTW, I'm not saying the SHO isn't a cool car, just that it's a porker.

This is a perfect example of "Newer isn't necessarily better". :nice:

Don't misinterpret what I said, I was not implying that the new cars are not "better". I meant what I said, new cars are just getting bigger and heavier, and it's almost getting ridiculous. IMHO, the S197 cars are way too big. They're badass, especially the 2011 Coyote, but they're getting too big. When they released the almost 4000lb GT500 a few years back I almost **** my pants.

i know what you mean, when my buddys come over and see my nice 86 gt sitting next to my wifes 09 v-6 accord they dont belive when i tell them the accord is faster to 60mph, thats why iam looking for the 2011 gt, that crap will end.