Custom steering wheel and shift stick

• Sponsors (?)

Ok I think I am going to re-word my questions.

-What are the general procedures for removing a stock steering wheel (with or without an airbag) from a mustang and installing a custom one?

- Likewise, what are the steps involved in removing the stock shift stick and installing a custom one?

The steering wheel might be a little tricky depending on the bolt pattern or size, Ive only used the Grant Quick Release hub in the past on race cars... I will say if you get in a accident and are at fault your insurance could refuse to pay for your injuries incurred by not having a airbag installed. Also it is against the law without the proper paperwork to remove the airbag.

You need to disconnect the battery for atleast 30mins I prefer longer, disconnect the blue airbag module under the dash, there is 4 bolts on the rear of the steering wheel that holds the airbag in. Place the airbag face up in an area where if it would activate it will not kill or damage anything. you be able to find a similar style wheel from Grant to fit the Ford, that old wheel is a little large.

The shifter handle is easy, it is just bolted on with two bolts (no matter if you have a stock or aftermarket shifter), you may have to redrill the handle or make an adapter, both would be easy.

Also it is against the law without the proper paperwork to remove the airbag.

this is untrue. it is illegal for a commercial business such as dealer/mechanic/etc to remove safety equipment but it is not illegal for the car's owner.

and as old as our fox's are, i plan to remove the air bag asap.

personally, i've only had bad experiences with airbags but most incidents were older cars. 1 incident was in a 2004 GT vert when i was riding passenger tho. thankfully my airbag didnt deploy, but the steering wheel bag did and gave my girlfriend a 200mph punch in the nose. her nose was the only injury in the accident and it lingered for a couple weeks.

i've also seen stories about some of the chemicals used in the powder/bags that say there are health risks but i dont know how true they are and how applicable all air bags are to that.

i also read that if you're at fault in the accident and you disabled the air bag that you might not be covered for your injury. but i'm sure that will vary some by insurance company, state, and by the incident.