Custom turbo system 96 GT

Louise96

Mar 23, 2009
I have a turbo system Im getting off a friend who's sliding me a good deal of $700 for turbo, intercooler, tubing. I need some general advice on how to hook this system up. I'm going to flip my stock exhaust manifold to mount the turbo and the intercooler is made to fit in my body style so no problem there. any advice would be good on what lines i need to run from oil pan, how to tap it, tubing, how to relocate my coil packs. ANY info at all. thanks- Cliff

• Sponsors (?)

well first off, the tubing wont fit unless you use the same turbo headers he used...or at least it wont fit without mods made to it....regardless, as for oil line hookups...this comes from experience(not with my mustang, yet...but with my neon) take off your oil pan and use an AN fitting(or flare fittings with AN threads and the correct degree flare, I think hydraulic fittings are correct) first off though, and aluminum oil pan makes this easiest(not sure if one is offered for the 4.6L) since you can take an aluminum AN fitting and WELD it into the pan....or if you have a steel pan try to find some type of hydraulic fitting made out of steel and again, WELD it in. I know a lot of people use bulkhead type fittings...I did too...the first 3 times I tried it...after springing 3 oil leaks, I welded it in and never had another leak from there. next up....the oil feed and return lines....braided stainless steel is really the only way to go, to connect to AN fittings of course...tried rubber lines of various types and they always sprung leaks(an alternative is to have a hydraulic hose made and use hydraulic fittings)

as for using some else's kit....have fun, it will work if you use the exact same manifolds he uses(dont know about k-member clearance, thats up to you to find out) however, this being said, I built my first turbo kit for about $1700 complete, it was for a 4 cylinder....but it could be done for $2000 for a v8(I could do it cheaper now myself but I've done it half a dozen times too), one other piece of advice...DONT NEGLECT YOUR FUEL SYSTEM....you need a good pump, decently flowing feed and return lines, decent flowing fuel rail and good fuel lines(braided stainless preferred but I have used stock stuff with some success for mildly boost engines(12psi or less) you also need a good FPR and injectors than will flow enough(and MAF sensor too...I dont know about that, I'm all about programmable speed density systems)