Daily Driver Decisions....Need Honest Help

I have a 2005 Grand Marquis for my daily driver. I have put about 100k on it and plan on 200k more. It gets 27 MPG on the highway, 17-20 in town, and we can fit the family and enough stuff to go on a trip in it. Insurance is better than most econoboxes because of the safety tests. Maintenance has been very, very minimal.
It pulls a loaded pickup bed trailer without any problem.
The bad news is the back bumper fascia has been painted several times from idiots in parking lots scraping it while parked.
If you enjoy the space, a good ride, good power, and surprisingly good handling, this is a great way to go.

• Sponsors (?)

Also, if you have a choice, and there a lot of vehicles to choose from, life is too short to drive a car you hate.

The Grand Marquis is likely the nicest and best built car I will ever own. That includes when my toys are in top shape.

Thanks to all. Made my mind up. I'm gonna just keep driving the Mustang.
That's a great choice.I personally have a similar situation as you.I need to daily my 1993 lx.I do not have a choice,finance as it is.sadly it's been almost 12 years,or maybe I should say happily.I really love my stang,I do all my own work on her,so labor is free.She gets 24 mpg as I have a heavy foot.I drive 30 miles round trip to work everyday,75 mpg on parkwy.Motor is original 280 k.When money is no longer an issue,id love to do a 351 upgrade with a t56 six speed ,Ricardo seats,I already have put together cobra brake upgrade just need time to do the work.

For a Mustang site, there seem to be very few fans of recent Fords here. They are not selling junk like the 1977’s, and have not been for some time.
Have you actually driven a Panther body car? Unless the shocks and sway bar bushings/links were worn out, the body roll is much less than any of the econoboxes that do not shake loose kidney stones. They are designed for police pursuit, so they are not slow, either. I do not need to slow down for empty roundabouts like in most stock vehicles.
Also, the design of the car was refined since at least the 60’s. It is cheaper and easier to work on than the Japanese cars (or poor quality American copies of Those cars.). So IF it needs fixed, most anyone can, and parts are (mostly) much cheaper. But after all the fleet testing, everything major on the car has been made reliable than the little disposable cars. That’s the point of quality parts and a strong design. If it lasts under hard use, it will last longer under standard use. Besides regular fluid, filter and brake service, Panthers do not take much work and tend to run longer with fewer problems than FWD imports.

The Rangers were nice little trucks. Good luck finding one with low miles and without a lot of hard use. People tended to keep them and use them a lot. When I traded mine in for more seating, the dealer gave me KBB private seller value and had it sold so it never made it to the lot.

I wouldn't recommend the crown vic to anyone as a daily driver unless it's being used as a work car. It's built to handle abuse, but if you aren't going to abuse it, what's the point? It's heavy, slow, noticeable body roll, terrible gas mileage, and uncomfortable. Small asian sedan or ford/mazda ranger would be my choice.

For a Mustang site, there seem to be very few fans of recent Fords here. They are not selling junk like the 1977’s, and have not been for some time.
Have you actually driven a Panther body car? Unless the shocks and sway bar bushings/links were worn out, the body roll is much less than any of the econoboxes that do not shake loose kidney stones. They are designed for police pursuit, so they are not slow, either. I do not need to slow down for empty roundabouts like in most stock vehicles.
Also, the design of the car was refined since at least the 60’s. It is cheaper and easier to work on than the Japanese cars (or poor quality American copies of Those cars.). So IF it needs fixed, most anyone can, and parts are (mostly) much cheaper. But after all the fleet testing, everything major on the car has been made reliable than the little disposable cars. That’s the point of quality parts and a strong design. If it lasts under hard use, it will last longer under standard use. Besides regular fluid, filter and brake service, Panthers do not take much work and tend to run longer with fewer problems than FWD imports.

The Rangers were nice little trucks. Good luck finding one with low miles and without a lot of hard use. People tended to keep them and use them a lot. When I traded mine in for more seating, the dealer gave me KBB private seller value and had it sold so it never made it to the lot.

Like I said 8-16 hours a day.

There isn’t anything particularly fast about an n/a 2V whether it’s in a SN95 or panther platform.

Go with the Crown Vic, give it a try, you can always move onto something else if not happy(if you buy smart). I am on my 37th car now and look back fondly(for the most part)on all of the experiences.

Neither is a Shelby GT 350. But between a Civic, a Crown Vic and an F-150, the Civic Hybrid is most likely to get tail ended in merging. I did not look up turbo models since MPG seems to be a concern.

2004 Civic Hybrid, CVT, 0-60 12.6 sec., 1/4 mile 19.1 sec.

Police spec Crown Vic, 8.5 sec 0-60, 16.6 sec. 1/4 mile. And it seems to do almost that with a trailer.

2005 F-150, 7.1 -10.1 sec. 0- 60, 15.1 -17.8 sec. 1/4 mile.

Not really a lot to add that may be useful, but things I will agree with.

Rangers are great trucks, regret ever selling mine.

Have driven a crown vic for about 10 years of my policing career, I can say they lasted much longer than anything they employ now and they handle much better than one would think.

Joe

Keep the Mustang, you will regret if you don't.

The Crown Vic is a good choice as a dd. Common, reliable, repairs are readily available, although some may not be cheap.

My dd is my 08 Bullitt, followed by my 89 Fox four cylinder five speed notch. Only issue with it is the difficult to replace ac compressor. Everything else can be dealt with.

A big factor is how much and how far your drive it. If you work in the same town you live,
Literally anything is fine, if you have an hour commute each way , you need to pick the right car

Reactions: 1 user
20200212_145300.jpg

Well....decision made. Took me a year almost which is normal for me. I found this 2006 Honda CRV. It's been well cared for. This pic is on the way home from buying it two weeks ago. I had one dry day since and was able to detail the interior. It's unbelievably clean inside. I have a folder of service records. It rides and drives great. It's also very nice to have a large cargo area. Already had a trailer hitch so that's good. New rotors and pads at all four corners just a few months ago. Also a new NAPA premium a/c compressor (not a rebuild but new) in that same time frame. Happy about those things.
It's so nice to just go get in a vehicle and drive. I feel like I just got a new expensive top end ride! It has a good many miles but it was very reasonable....$3400. Outside is in good shape as well.

Reactions: 8 users
20200212_145300.jpg

Well....decision made. Took me a year almost which is normal for me. I found this 2006 Honda CRV. It's been well cared for. This pic is on the way home from buying it two weeks ago. I had one dry day since and was able to detail the interior. It's unbelievably clean inside. I have a folder of service records. It rides and drives great. It's also very nice to have a large cargo area. Already had a trailer hitch so that's good. New rotors and pads at all four corners just a few months ago. Also a new NAPA premium a/c compressor (not a rebuild but new) in that same time frame. Happy about those things.
It's so nice to just go get in a vehicle and drive. I feel like I just got a new expensive top end ride! It has a good many miles but it was very reasonable....$3400. Outside is in good shape as well.

I definitely can appreciate a well cared for older car. I run an ‘02 F150, that I constantly get comments on, that they can’t believe it’s an ‘02, and only a year ago got rid of my wife’s ‘04 Escape.
I like keeping them, and like not having a car payment even more!!!
We’ll see how long I can make her new Cherokee last!
Good luck with that CRV. As much as I’m a Ford guy, Toyota and Honda definitely seem to do things right!

Reactions: 1 user
Those CRV'S are great vehicles, if you didn't figure it out yet, the cover in the rear compartment, (trunk) is also a neat little folding table. Every time one of those has totaled at the shop we grab the table, I use one all the time in my garage.

• Useful
Reactions: 3 users
My Family-mobile is a 2015 Honda Pilot. It's hard to beat for the price. I have put 85k miles on it and done nothing other than tires and oil changes. I can also fit 2 foxbody fenders, a hood, a convertible top frame and 3 transmissions in it at one time.

• Haha
  • Surprised
Reactions: 1 users
My Family-mobile is a 2015 Honda Pilot. It's hard to beat for the price. I have put 85k miles on it and done nothing other than tires and oil changes. I can also fit 2 foxbody fenders, a hood, a convertible top frame and 3 transmissions in it at one time.
Same here @Mstng93SSP. I like the Pilot. I had to put new tires on it about a year ago and just oil changes. Great on road trips. It can sit 8 comfortably. It’s not my daily, it’s the wife’s and daughters. Can’t wait until I pay it off. There it is behind the Stang. My daily is a 2000 Tacoma 4x4 Ive had for almost 20 years.

332CA044-F4A9-446B-83C8-50D93775D4D4.jpeg

Last edited:
Reactions: 2 users