damn this car keeps getting worse

MurdockSVT

Founding Member
Jun 7, 2002
Wisconsin
here we go again..

ok so the power door locks never seemed to work in the car since i bought it, the guy that i bought it from told me that it just needed new motors, well i tested those today and they work fine. somehow all the wiring is messed up in this car. At one time it appears as if an alarm system was rigged up very poorly and then taken out at a later date. there are tons and tons of wires that are either broken or exposed halfway down the line. I cant tell what is what anymore with all the electrical tape everywhere.

so yea is there somewhere i can buy a new wiring harness for this car. I would like to replace everything, including all the sensor plugs and wiring in the engine bay. Is this possible? where can i get the wiring? and has anyone done this?

thanks again

Michael

• Sponsors (?)

as far as i know, there's only two options you can pursue first off, you can get a new wiring harness from painless (i believe sumimt/jegs/etc. sells them) performance. second, you can try and pick one up from the junkyard. from what i've read just within this site, people do not seem to like the painless harnesses. i actually want to do the same thing, so i guess we'll see what happens. good luck and keep us posted. if you do end up going with a new one from painless, pm me and let me know what you think (it'd make a great winter project).

stangs use 5 wire reverse switching on the locks. make sure the ground wire in the middle of the door is there and secure.
many alarm installers get the lock wires at the top of the driver kick panel. many of them are pink (see a schematic for more info). i would check there to see if you find any cut wires.

good luck.

Painles does not sell the door lock arnesses. they only sell the engine and its under ford 5.0 mustang. Or 5.0 efi either one. But like i said in other posts painless stuff blows. And 400 dollars isnt woth it. You can easily find the harnesses you need on ebay for less then half the price of the painless.

if i knew what any of those pictures meant, I would be in good shape. Sorry I dont do wiring, and cant seem to find anyone that does. Its becoming hopeless, anyone want to buy a cobra that doesnt work very well but is in wonderful condition? haha