Dash gauge wiring...

CornerCarvin67

Dec 30, 2004
Does anyone have a link of the wiring for the gauges in a 67? I started my Autometer conversion last night and was just wondering which or IF I can splice into the existing wires. For instance... the two wire off the stock volt meter... can I use those? What about the oil gauge?

Or am I just scrapping all of it except the turn signal lights??

Anyhow... I pulled it all apart and the nest step was to grind off the bezel of one of the gauges. I chose the voltmeter, like Edbert did, and of course just barely nicked the lense... pisssssed me off. Anyway... after getting the bezel off and lining it up to the back of the bezel... I wasn't please with the appearance. I then made the choice to grind out the bezel in order to drop in the gauge from the front side. WOW... what a difference. I'm not sure if I've seen it done this way... I'm sure someone has. But it really looks good to me. So I proceeded to handle the other three small pod mounts and had equal success. Then the 5" holes.... same deal. And after test fitting the tach into the hole... I won't even have to grind out the metal back piece because the gauge fits beautifully.

So this thread has a dual purpose... I need the wiring opinions... and I wanted to let people know that there is an option to mounting your autometers than the popular one seen on line.

Yes... I'll get some pics when I get a chance. Ha ha.....

• Sponsors (?)

CornerCarvin67 said:
Does anyone have a link of the wiring for the gauges in a 67? I started my Autometer conversion last night and was just wondering which or IF I can splice into the existing wires. For instance... the two wire off the stock volt meter... can I use those? What about the oil gauge?

Anyhow... I pulled it all apart and the nest step was to grind off the bezel of one of the gauges. I chose the voltmeter, like Edbert did, and of course just barely nicked the lense... pisssssed me off. Anyway... after getting the bezel off and lining it up to the back of the bezel... I wasn't please with the appearance. I then made the choice to grind out the bezel in order to drop in the gauge from the front side. WOW... what a difference. I'm not sure if I've seen it done this way... I'm sure someone has. But it really looks good to me. So I proceeded to handle the other three small pod mounts and had equal success. Then the 5" holes.... same deal. And after test fitting the tach into the hole... I won't even have to grind out the metal back piece because the gauge fits beautifully.

So this thread has a dual purpose... I need the wiring opinions... and I wanted to let people know that there is an option to mounting your autometers than the popular one seen on line.

I have it in pdf, hit me up at [email protected] and I'll send it to you.

CornerCarvin67 said:

This is my next swap so please post picks on how you did it. I will watch this thread also.

I went with the fuel gauge part number 105-5815, Phantom Autometer. I don't know 100% if it will work until I try it of course. I snapped a couple of pics this morning before work... mostly wiring pics of the back. I'll keep adding pics as I go. It sucks though to have to resize them.

Here's a pic... It's really not as messy as it might look. I have all the wire coded.... red for power, green for signal, black for ground. And then the meter lights are daisy chained.

here's the factory diagram:

67instr.jpg

I have almost the entire 1967 wiring stuff on my site in this folder http://www.edbert.net/images/2005/wiring, all the files start with "67".

Those are for factory setups of course, if you are modding yours they are not of much help.

Here's a not so recent shot of the backside of my gauge cluster:

dash33.jpg

Attachments

• 67instr.jpg
    67instr.jpg
    107.2 KB · Views: 80
Here are a couple of pics of my latest cluster. I wanted to do something different for the 'vert so I used Stewart-Warner gauges. It's set up to plug into the Painless harness in this car. I've built umpteen clusters now so I've got the electrical and of it pretty "wired"! :p :p

0144.jpg

0146.jpg

Attachments

• 0144.jpg
    0144.jpg
    46.5 KB · Views: 69
  • 0146.jpg
    0146.jpg
    53 KB · Views: 63
Hey Reen... total props. That looks great. I just chose to save myself alot of cash and do it differently. I just didn't likt how far back the gauges seemed to sit on the top row. And I'd have had to spend $300 to convert my dash over to the brushed aluminum. Since I'm more about function and racing when I can... I think the flat black fits me just fine. Thanks too for the tip on the gauge I bought.