Dash lights dont work....need help.

Mizark347

Jan 21, 2004
Detroit
I have a 91 LX that i just put a new pin on hood. So i ripped out the hood latch and linkage and the dash wont light up when i put the headlights on anymore. The the popper under the dash had a little switch on it with two wires connected to it. What does this switch do? and What should i do to fix it? because i already trashed the latch popper and linkage. Someone check out theyre 91 stang an let me know. My freinds 87 doesnt have it...and my old 89 didnt. Thanks, Mark

• Sponsors (?)

i have never heard of a switch on the latch release. hhhmmm. is there a chance someone had a servo or lock on the hood release?
spin your dimmer switch back and forth a time or two. sometimes they fritz out, but work again when spun. otherwise, i would troubleshoot the ISO circuit (make sure fuse 13 is good).
good luck.

i had the same problem about a month ago.. i took out the headlight control switch and the connections were all corroded so i replaced that and the wires, that solved my problem.. and no problem since

the little push/pull thing to the upper left of the steering wheel? sorry for the dumb question, just trying to get the lingo correct and also get my galdarn friggin bop-bop-a-loo-bop-a-whop-sham-boom dash lights working :)

i just got an 88 LX 5.0 hatch stroked to 347 and i LOVE it! Just need to get some niggles sorted. Oh, the bach hatch is all kinds of loose too. Any ideas on that? maybe just adjust the striker pin?

1593465177291.png

the little push/pull thing to the upper left of the steering wheel? sorry for the dumb question, just trying to get the lingo correct and also get my galdarn friggin bop-bop-a-loo-bop-a-whop-sham-boom dash lights working :)

i just got an 88 LX 5.0 hatch stroked to 347 and i LOVE it! Just need to get some niggles sorted. Oh, the bach hatch is all kinds of loose too. Any ideas on that? maybe just adjust the striker pin?
the 'little push/pull thing' just turns the lights on/off, you need to deal with the 'wheel'. It's below the cluster on the left side of the steering wheel, take it out and if it has green powder on the contacts use electrical contact cleaner on it and you likely will be good, or you could just replace it.

the 'little push/pull thing' just turns the lights on/off, you need to deal with the 'wheel'. It's below the cluster on the left side of the steering wheel, take it out and if it has green powder on the contacts use electrical contact cleaner on it and you likely will be good, or you could just replace it.

the wheel is connected to a potentiometer if im not mistaken and yes, pots can get nasty. makes sense if the flow is stopped there due to corrosion. If cleaning it doesnt work, can i just bypass it and keep the dash lights at full tilt all the time when switched on?

@Mizark347 are you still there? You left us hanging long enough. What did it take to fix it? If you have not, can you post a couple of pics of the plug you are talking about and the wire colors? I would be glad to look for it in my 91 5.0.