Dave's ‘03-‘04 Cobra IRS Swap

Hoytster

I don't dare do that to my Knob
10 Year Member
Dec 30, 2002
Cornwall, PA
www.hoytspot.com
You used a Lincoln Mark 8 IRS cradle with Mustang parts on it? You're going to need to give us a bit more info on that swap.
I second that. The Lincoln Mark VIII cradle is the same design as the thunderbird's, and totally different than the Mustang's IRS cradle. As far as I know, the only parts that are interchangeable between the three is the diff casing. Control arms, half shafts, ect are all different between the Thunderbird/Mark VIII and Cobra IRS units.

• Sponsors (?)

Davedacarpainter

I think I've messed my pants
SN Certified Technician
Nov 28, 2015
Discordia
I about broke some buying/selling rules in this thread guys. I wasn’t meaning to do that. I’ll close this thread down just to be safe.

Hey JR, @karthief will you delete this thread for me please?

bird_dog0347

I really enjoyed seeing your rear end up close
5 Year Member
Jun 7, 2012
Little Elm, TX
Really? That doesn't seem right to me... You were basically looking for something that's hard to find and soliciting help to find it from others. Whatever though... Grab that local setup if you can, you miss 100% of the shots you don't take.

90sickfox

I didn't really have an issue with the stink...
SN Certified Technician
Mar 2, 2015
They have just the cradles on ebay for 800. Off shot 1k at that guy....wouldn't go above 1500.

Noobz347

Stangnet Facilities Maint Tech... Er... Janitor
Admin Dude
Jan 4, 1985
Box behind Walmart
www.stangnet.com
I about broke some buying/selling rules in this thread guys. I wasn’t meaning to do that. I’ll close this thread down just to be safe.

Hey JR, @karthief will you delete this thread for me please?
Nobody said the thread needed to go. Just be mindful.

Really? That doesn't seem right to me... You were basically looking for something that's hard to find and soliciting help to find it from others. Whatever though... Grab that local setup if you can, you miss 100% of the shots you don't take.
If you like I can explain the difference but reading through the ToS would probably provide clarity. There's nothing wrong with helping someone find a part. When it turns into a [want] ad then it goes to the classifieds section. By rights, folks that have information about a possible sale should be sending that info to Dave in Private Message. I tend to turn a blind eye to links to ads because invariably, the OP might want to gather advice on whether it's a good or bad deal and that point, the OP is only considering that option. As soon as it turns into a purchase or purchase info is discussed directly, then it's a classifieds section topic.

To explain it another way: See the current thread title. It's appropriate for a discussion forum whereas, "I am looking for X part and will pay $Y". This is not a discussion thread topic anymore.

Some may think I'm splitting hairs while the line is pretty clear to me.

Davedacarpainter

SN Certified Technician
Nov 28, 2015
Discordia
When I changed the title to include a dollar amount, that was to solicit an opinion.

Yet I do understand how what I put there could be interpreted in the way you were saying Noobz.

Sorry for the confusion.

Mstng93SSP

You have a nice rear end there Dave.
15 Year Member
Nov 29, 1999
Mililani, Hawaii
When you started asking guys to send pictures of their stripped down rears well that's when the line was crossed. (Did you get my pic dave?)

Davedacarpainter

SN Certified Technician
Nov 28, 2015
Discordia
When you started asking guys to send pictures of their stripped down rears well that's when the line was crossed. (Did you get my pic dave?)
Sure did Chris, well worth the money..,....though 25 cents seemed a little pricey at first.

bird_dog0347

5 Year Member
Jun 7, 2012
Little Elm, TX
lol, I understand... I guess I was taking the "classifieds" term a little too literally instead of considering the links to CL. I'll keep that in PM's from now on.

Davedacarpainter

SN Certified Technician
Nov 28, 2015
Discordia
Ok, the current owner of the '03 cobra IRS quite literally scoffed at my $1000 offer.

That's ok, i'm starting a conversation with him about IRS's , asking his opinion and such. Somewhere I'll drop the idea that I paint cars for a living and I'll see if I can whore myself out for a deal on his rear end.

Did that sound bad?

Mustang5L5

Car used in adult film "Highway Gangbang-InDaButt"
SN Certified Technician
Feb 18, 2001
Massachusetts
I've missed out on two IRS setups locally I keep kicking myself for.

I want to join the IRS club too.

bird_dog0347

5 Year Member
Jun 7, 2012
Little Elm, TX
Ok, the current owner of the '03 cobra IRS quite literally scoffed at my $1000 offer.

That's ok, i'm starting a conversation with him about IRS's , asking his opinion and such. Somewhere I'll drop the idea that I paint cars for a living and I'll see if I can whore myself out for a deal on his rear end.

Did that sound bad?
Oh man... I didn't even think about your unique position as a paint/body guy. That's a metric S-ton of leverage where foxes are concerned (assuming your shop is kind).
Taintnet...

FoxMustangLvr

I love my Pimp
SN Certified Technician
Oct 14, 2012
Spokane, Wa

Noobz347

Stangnet Facilities Maint Tech... Er... Janitor
Admin Dude
Jan 4, 1985
Box behind Walmart
www.stangnet.com
Dave's road trip might have just gotten longer!
He's probably opened the safe and is now breaking the seal on the "What to do in case of rear-end" checklist.

It will all be ok though. He's trained for this moment. ;)