Dead spots in power band?

XtorT'r

Jun 11, 2003
Minnesota, YAAA
So sometimes, not all the time when I give the car gas I get what feels like a dead spot in acceleration. You can feel it when your going full WOT or sometimes just when your just moving ahead normally. I have no CEL telling me there is a misfire or anything like that but I think that might be what's going on. How would I find out what might be misfiring with out any leads or is there something else I might not be thinking of?

• Sponsors (?)

I'd say check out the plug wires and then if nothing there, ensure that the plugs are in good shape; i.e. tightened down, gapped, worn, etc... I thought that if there was a misfire, the CEL would start blinking. What about your fuel filter? Possibly changing that could remedy the problem? Good luck!

also

COP 4.6's do _not_ like water on top of the motor. The famous plastic intake water crossover can dump coolant on top of the motor, and from there it runs back down either head and drops into the plug holes. I've seen 'em corroded badly, and have seen 'em misfire randomly when water gets in the plug hole and the boot is split on the bottom due to heat/age...

You might try blowing all 8 plug holes out with air (do not remove the plugs!) and if you get moisture out keep blowing until it is dry. Some good boot grease in the plug boots will help avoid this kind of missfire. And by all means replace that intake if you still have it.

I have run across MAF sensors creating intermittent problems such as the one you describe and setting absoutly no trouble codes. Easiest way to confirm that is when the problem occurs again give the MAF a tap with something the handle of a screwdriver. Hope this helps.