Deal Breakers When Look At A Car

adumb

Nov 27, 2007
I am curious when you guys are looking at cars what do you consider a deal breaker. lets assume this is under 3500 for a 66-69 coupe style mustang numbers matching stuff and all that really doesn't concern me.

I looked at a 68 mustang coupe today. the girl wanted 2000 for it. the car is totally apart. interior and motor at a different location, which i also looked at. the body though is my major concern. the body in general looked pretty good. only one small dent behind the passengers side door. carpet was out of the car so i could see the floors really well. they looked to have been replaced in some spots and don't show any rot but there was still some pinholes here in there that i could see through. underneath the car was pretty good also. frame rails were all intact and didn't really show signs of rot starting just the typical light surface rust. behind the passenger side rear tire there was a tiny bit of bubbling up, only went of about an inch from the bottom of the panel. trunk was in good shape. i couldn't check out the truck floor since there was a ton of parts in it. gas tank looked newer. the engine compartment looked straight and i couldn't see any indication of welding or fixes from maybe a front end collision. it was all black and the towers and paint was in really good shape. the interior does have kind of a wet feel to it. the car has been outside and the little crank out windows werent totally closed and i am sure the doors aren't sealed well so some moisture got inside.

in the end this is a 68 mustang in pieces for 2000 bucks with a body that i think is in pretty good shape. tranny is said to have been rebuild 1000 miles ago, and motor is said to be good also. the ladies sister passed away two years ago, before she passed she was still driving the car and had owned it for 25 years.

drivetrain isn't really of a concern to me. i have carbed 351w with a t5 i will probably put in it.

my two major questions are what do you think this car is worth?

second questions is when checking out a car what would make you walk away from a car. does it just come down to rot in a difficult spot to fix or evidence of a past accident?

thanks,
adam

• Sponsors (?)

I agree with Noobz, depends on your motivation, space, and what you want/can put into it. It doesn't sound like a bad deal to me, but I don't mind diving into something like that....