Dealer Detailer Ate Halfway Through Clearcoat On My 2014 Mustang

badbuc74

Feb 7, 2014
Ok so first let me introduce myself : Im Chris, 39, just bought a Black 2014 V6
mustang base model with the only option being the Performance Package (Manual trans). Its my first Mustang. I originally purchased a Focus ST and then traded it in a few weeks later on the v6 Stang. I wanted more power and rearwheel drive. This was the most car/Horesepower I could afford. And I figure its a good platform to completely customize although I really like most of what is stock about it.
(by the way dont get me wrong, the Focus was BadA$$, but the suspension was killing my spine and after years of driving 4 banger front wheel drives, I wanted something bigger and smoother riding) I wanted the GT but the gas would be ridiculous on a monthly basis so here I am and 300 HP is pretty good right now.
So...On to the problem... Brought the car in to get the detail they didnt do at the purchase day because it started pouring after I finished paperwork. They detail the car. I do a walk around and notice two two inch scratches on the rear driver quarter panel. I politely mentioned that I didnt know if they were there (its been raining and dirty since I bought it a week ago) or if one of the detailers did it with a jacket zipper or something...Kinda looked like that. So they took it back to try to get the scratches off. When 20 something dude rolls back up with my car he admits that they got most of the scratch out, but went into the clearcoat to do it. And the B!t(h of it is, when they took the car back I thought to myself... whats worse? a couple of scratches or these guys burning through my clear coat with a buffer. I just watched a video about car detailing where the guy mentioned this exactly - most detailers going buck wild with a rotary buffer.
So, I talk to several people at the dealer, they want to make it right. Its the size of a quarter basically, but I live in Florida, my cars black and Im concerned about the future of that spot. So what would you guys do?
I suppose they will repaint that entire quarterpanel if I want them to however, the longer it goes without that, in other words if I wait too long and we get into the hotter months Im worried that the paint wont match completely. Anway...as stupid as it sounds, My stomach was in knots almost all day I was so pissed. Although I didn't act angry or unreasonable with these guys. Obviously it pays to have a level head but I didnt want to make any decisions as pissed off inside as I was this afternoon. SO Im really wondering if it makes sense to even bother pushing for a repaint of that much of the car for such a small spot? On a positive note...I got into the throttle more than I ever have on the way home to see what THAT feels like...and it was good.

• Sponsors (?)