DEEP DISH RIMS...WILL THEY FIT UP FRONT?

1998bluecobra

Jun 3, 2009
I HAVE A 98 COBRA AND WAS LOOKNIG TO GET A SET OF DEEP DISH COBRA R'S. I AM GOING WITH THE 18X10'S ON THE BACK AND 18X9'S UP FRONT. WHEN I WENT TO PLACE THE ORDER THE GUY SAID THERE WAS A CHANCE THE RIMS UP FRONT MIGHT NOT CLEAR THE CALIPERS. ANYONE RUNNING 18X9 DEEP DISH RIMS UP FRONT ON A 96-98 COBRA OR KNOW IF THEY WILL CLEAR. THE OFFSET IS 24MM. I THINK THEY WILL CLEAR JUST WANTED TO MAKE SURE.

• Sponsors (?)

Reach over and press the CAPS LOCK key...thanks. (Otherwise, it appears that you are YELLING)

with the Cobra calipers, it's certainly a possibility that you'll have interference. My AR Torq Thrust IIs hit my Cobra calipers on my 02 GT, so I used spacers to rectify the issue. One my Mach, same rims, virtually same calipers but not the fancy Cobra face, I used a 4" grinder to take about an 3/16" of material off of the calipers to clear the spokes of the rims. (Note that these were SN-95 specific rims - thanks American Racing...they never once responded to several emails, USPS sent mail, even a certified return receipt letter to alert them of the issue - I'll never buy American Racing products ever again, but that's a whole 'nother story) With my new rims, 10th anniv Cobra knockoffs, 17X9 and 17X10, they have plenty of clearance.
As noted in the above post, it all depends on the offset and backspacing.

I HAVE A 98 COBRA AND WAS LOOKNIG TO GET A SET OF DEEP DISH COBRA R'S. I AM GOING WITH THE 18X10'S ON THE BACK AND 18X9'S UP FRONT. WHEN I WENT TO PLACE THE ORDER THE GUY SAID THERE WAS A CHANCE THE RIMS UP FRONT MIGHT NOT CLEAR THE CALIPERS. ANYONE RUNNING 18X9 DEEP DISH RIMS UP FRONT ON A 96-98 COBRA OR KNOW IF THEY WILL CLEAR. THE OFFSET IS 24MM. I THINK THEY WILL CLEAR JUST WANTED TO MAKE SURE.

mines not a cobra but close, i have 18x9 deepdish bullits on mine and no problems.

sorry no i dont but if you do some research the 96-98 cobras from the factory had 17in wheels, so that would tell me that if the 18in wheel is bigger he'll have no problem. however looking at my calipers, it looks like you could kick a feild goal trough them.

You should be fine! It's not just the offset and backspacing to a wheel's clearance issues but also the design of the spoke to the outer (front) edge of the wheel. Offset will determine how far the wheel will stick out past the hub, backspacing is how far back the wheel will sit back past the hub. So for most suspension component clearance, backspacing is what you need to measure for. For a flush finish to the fender is what offset you need to measure for. Any wheel with less positive offset will have less backspacing. Cobra R's are among the few that fit the Brembo calipers as well. The deep dish wheels however have a different spoke to wheel edge design and it should be checked.