Definitive Answer Needed... Trans Cooler Return Coupling Size

So I'm doing the cooler install.......and for everyone one of you that has one, I know you've gone through the same thing with the fitting that doesn't work on the Stock Hard return line fitting..... I DO NOT want to stretch the hose and throw it over that, I can't imagine it NOT leaking...

What size is that son of a B...... I've been all around kingdom come yesterday and came home with nothing that worked. I read on here it was 1/4....well I bought one that size and it doesn't work...I also read 5/16.....that didn't work either...

I'd like to make one more trip to the store today...please help:shrug: and it's plumbing thread right?

• Sponsors (?)

hotstang_46:

Couple of methods:

1. You can use a tubing cutter to make a nice, clean cut and then flare the end a little and slide the rubber tube over it and use two small hose clamps. This will work nicely.

2. You can buy a barb connector adapter. This has a compression fitting on one end (it goes on the freshly cut tube end) and the rubber hose goes on the barbed end and secured with a hose clamp or two.

These fittings are available in the plumbing department of Lowe's (and, I presume, Home Depot) or your local hardware store (even better).

Remember to use a wrench to hold the fitting on the radiator while you are loosening or tightening the tubing nut. If you don't, then there is a high risk of turning the whole fitting in the plastic end cap of the radiator and this will cause a leak. In other words, if you don't use a wrench on the fixed fitting, chances are excellent that you will have to buy a new rad!

HTH,

Chris