Dex Cool Question

IIGood

Founding Member
Aug 1, 1998
Churchton, MD
Since I've only had Fords, I've never dealt with Dex Cool before so I'm wondering if there are any differences to it vs. standard coolant. Does it still need water added? If so, can it be bought as a 50/50 mix like regular coolant? Any other things I should know?

I'm going to be replacing the coolant reservoir/overflow tank in my girlfriend's 2010 Equinox, so whatever coolant is in there will be getting evacuated and I'll have to refill it. It does use the Dex Cool.

Thanks!

• Sponsors (?)

DexCool is an organic acid technology or "OAT" coolant, where as the ol' green stuff you're used to (and virtually nothing built after 2005 uses) is an ethelyne glycol coolant. You still mix DexCool 50/50 with water. You have three choices if the car has no warranty considerations.

1. Flush the system well, use DexCool, know it's fixed right.

2. Flush the system, use an "all makes/all models" coolant (Prestone and Peak make these, among others, they're a hybrid organic acid technology, or "HOAT" coolant), and probably have the same result as above.

3. Flush the system, use the green stuff, have results that are entirely dependent on how well you flushed, AND have to change the coolant more often instead of the factory recommended 100k that gets ignored and stretched to 150k or more by owners because OAT and HOAT coolants really are that much better and you can get away with such things.

I'm a big fan of the Prestone DexCool in GM applications myself, it's what I put in my GMC when I had it and will be putting back in my dad's 160k Suburban when I do the coolant flush on it this summer.

You can buy it in 50/50, just remember you're usually paying 45% more when you do so.

DexCool is an organic acid technology or "OAT" coolant, where as the ol' green stuff you're used to (and virtually nothing built after 2005 uses) is an ethelyne glycol coolant. You still mix DexCool 50/50 with water. You have three choices if the car has no warranty considerations.

1. Flush the system well, use DexCool, know it's fixed right.

2. Flush the system, use an "all makes/all models" coolant (Prestone and Peak make these, among others, they're a hybrid organic acid technology, or "HOAT" coolant), and probably have the same result as above.

3. Flush the system, use the green stuff, have results that are entirely dependent on how well you flushed, AND have to change the coolant more often instead of the factory recommended 100k that gets ignored and stretched to 150k or more by owners because OAT and HOAT coolants really are that much better and you can get away with such things.

I'm a big fan of the Prestone DexCool in GM applications myself, it's what I put in my GMC when I had it and will be putting back in my dad's 160k Suburban when I do the coolant flush on it this summer.

You can buy it in 50/50, just remember you're usually paying 45% more when you do so.

Thanks! The higher price for 50/50 never made sense to me...pay more for a LOWER concentration of coolant? I only bought it in a pinch in the past...I try to avoid it otherwise.

The reason why 50/50 is higher is because they use distilled water. It prevents electrolysis. "Green stuff" is ethalyene glycol. Red stuff is propolene glycol. Not supposed to be mixed together in any way. I call that BS. Ford and Freightler have their own special coolant for diesels. Rubbish.