• Mustang Forums
  • 2005 - 2014 S-197 Mustang -General/Talk-
  • 2005 - 2009 Specific Tech

Diablosport question...

  • Thread starter Thread starter walter
  • Start date Start date Sep 25, 2007

walter

Founding Member
Aug 13, 1998
1,054
0
46
Houston TX
Sep 25, 2007
#1
  • Sep 25, 2007
  • #1
I was reading about the warning to SCT-2 owners that Doug at Bamaspeed gave about the car not starting if the dealer reflashed the ECU.

Would the Diablosport be immune to this since it is marketed as a self learning unit that automatically recognizes what kinda of car you have as long as you got the right unit for the right year?

Just curious since I'm in the market for a kit...

Thanks
 
H

HEAVYGT

New Member
Sep 14, 2006
241
0
0
Elgin, IL.
Sep 26, 2007
#2
  • Sep 26, 2007
  • #2
I haven't seen many questions on the Bammachips sticky since its been posted almost a year ago. Best way around it is to tell your service manager not to reflash your ECU.

I can tell you that the Diablosport works the same way an SCT2 works...it is pretty much married to the ECU of your car...before flashing a custome tune from either a Diablosport or SCT2, both units backup the factory tune. If you don't restore your factory tune prior to bringing it to the dealership and the dealerships reflashes your custom tune, both devices then become useless regardless of which one you bought. The devices would need to be reset to clear out the original factory tune...SCT and Diablosport are not really keen on doing this.
 

walter

Founding Member
Aug 13, 1998
1,054
0
46
Houston TX
Sep 26, 2007
#3
  • Sep 26, 2007
  • #3
Damn I guess you gotta swap in the airbox each time you need the to do some dealer work I guess.

Good thing I do my own oil changes.

On this subject given I'll never mess with timing and such which one would you recommend the Diablo or SCT that Doug sells?

Thanks.
 

anthony05gt

Active Member
Mar 18, 2006
1,262
1
37
Maryland
Sep 26, 2007
#4
  • Sep 26, 2007
  • #4
If the dealer re-flashes the pcm it very well can screw things up. What happens is, say in '05 there's a box code on your pcm of cdc2. Get a reflash and it happens to change the box code to cdc3. Then the tuner won't work unless Diablosport sends you a new cal-id #. It happened to my buddy. You could get a reflash and have good luck, but I wouldn't chance it.
 

walter

Founding Member
Aug 13, 1998
1,054
0
46
Houston TX
Sep 26, 2007
#5
  • Sep 26, 2007
  • #5
I see you use a diablosport.

You must be one of the few that does how you liking it?
 
K

kkdoughboy

New Member
Jul 20, 2007
212
0
0
Pennsylvania
Sep 26, 2007
#6
  • Sep 26, 2007
  • #6
Hi Walt, Hate to go off topic but bare with me for a second fellas. I bought Royal purple Oil and want to do my own oil changes in the future but am unfamiliar with the process. Can you PM me with info on how to change the Oil filter? I of course know how to do the rest. Thanks!
 
K

kkdoughboy

New Member
Jul 20, 2007
212
0
0
Pennsylvania
Sep 26, 2007
#7
  • Sep 26, 2007
  • #7
It's Brent at Brenspeed and Doug at Bamachips that you would contact. They are both really nice and willing to work with you. I would say that you better hope your lucky stars that you dont have a major warranty repair with one of these units present. Its the chance we take with the better performance that these tuners offer.
 

anthony05gt

Active Member
Mar 18, 2006
1,262
1
37
Maryland
Sep 29, 2007
#8
  • Sep 29, 2007
  • #8
walter said:
I see you use a diablosport.

You must be one of the few that does how you liking it?
Click to expand...

I'm one of the many that use Diablosport. All of the big blower manufacterers ship their systems with diablosport. A couple of the dealers switch to SCT before the product ships so they can offer their tunes. The fastest 3-valve stangs are all using Diablo, not that it's better because it's not. It's just a tool used to manipulate your car's pcm. I've had great success with Diablosport and I consider myself lucky to be good friends with one of their top tuners, Kevin MacDonald.
 

Mr_Q

Founding Member
Nov 5, 2002
721
8
48
Burbank, CA
Sep 29, 2007
#9
  • Sep 29, 2007
  • #9
Switched to SCT2 myself. My Diablosport is sitting in the cloest.
 

anthony05gt

Active Member
Mar 18, 2006
1,262
1
37
Maryland
Sep 29, 2007
#10
  • Sep 29, 2007
  • #10
Your best bet is to use whatever system your tune man is using. If you have a reputable shop that really knows these pcm's well it pays to use what they use.

Mr-Q, I don't know why you switched, but I'd think it's for a similar reason. I had an Excal in late '04 when I bought the car. It was just fine. When I bought the blower it came with Diablosport and Kevin MacDonald tuned it. If he worked for SCT I'd use that system. They are both great products.
 

walter

Founding Member
Aug 13, 1998
1,054
0
46
Houston TX
Sep 30, 2007
#11
  • Sep 30, 2007
  • #11
Thanks for all the info, I like the idea of using a Diablosport because on their site they seem to be the only ones that offer a model specifically for the 07+ cars the one that ends in 5 not 0. I know that the sct can be tuned for that but somehow that gives some peace of mind. Still my dilemma is which to pick since Doug has an option for either or and cost is the same.
 

Mr_Q

Founding Member
Nov 5, 2002
721
8
48
Burbank, CA
Sep 30, 2007
#12
  • Sep 30, 2007
  • #12
I had to switch off from the Diablo because the tuner would not accept an updated bios/tune. Apparently the ones Vortech sells with their systems are locked to their factory tune. Which is not really the greatest tune out there.

So I had to buy a new tuner. And since most tuner shops out there seem to be far more in to the SCT, that made my decision easy.
 

walter

Founding Member
Aug 13, 1998
1,054
0
46
Houston TX
Oct 26, 2007
#13
  • Oct 26, 2007
  • #13
Got anothe question on this...

What's the difference between the two units in terms of reading engine codes and datalogging ? Who does what and how?

Thanks
 
You must log in or register to reply here.

Similar threads

Z
Progress Thread zeth194 - New Guy on the Block
  • zeth194
  • Mar 19, 2026
  • 1979 - 1995 (Fox, SN95.0, & 2.3L) -General/Talk-
Replies
10
Views
686
1979 - 1995 (Fox, SN95.0, & 2.3L) -General/Talk- Apr 26, 2026
LILCBRA
J
'96 Cobra: A/C gets weak and engine misfires under load when warm
  • jruhnke
  • Oct 22, 2025
  • SVT Tech Forum
Replies
2
Views
388
SVT Tech Forum Nov 20, 2025
nickyb
Place to Avoid: Jamison Auto Group in Gulfport, MS
  • D Durden
  • Oct 20, 2025
  • 1965 - 1973 Classic Mustangs -General/Talk-
  • 2 3
Replies
46
Views
3K
1965 - 1973 Classic Mustangs -General/Talk- Jul 16, 2026
Noobz347
Engine Sick of stock TB and EGR spacer...
  • 91GTstroked
  • Dec 15, 2024
  • Fox 5.0 Mustang Tech
Replies
6
Views
756
Fox 5.0 Mustang Tech Dec 19, 2024
General karthief
4.6 question for those in the know....
  • LILCBRA
  • Aug 30, 2024
  • 2005 - 2014 S-197 Mustang -General/Talk-
Replies
15
Views
1K
2005 - 2014 S-197 Mustang -General/Talk- Sep 4, 2024
Adieu
Share:
Bluesky Email Share Link
  • Mustang Forums
  • 2005 - 2014 S-197 Mustang -General/Talk-
  • 2005 - 2009 Specific Tech
Menu
Log in

Register

  • Forums
  • What's new
  • Media
  • Resources
  • Contact
  • Sponsor
X

Privacy & Transparency

We use cookies and similar technologies for the following purposes:

  • Personalized ads and content
  • Content measurement and audience insights

Do you accept cookies and these technologies?

X

Privacy & Transparency

We use cookies and similar technologies for the following purposes:

  • Personalized ads and content
  • Content measurement and audience insights

Do you accept cookies and these technologies?