diagnosis tech

• Sponsors (?)

Dont get me wrong when I say this. ASE stands for ask someone else. Anybody can read a book and take a test and pass. Manual transmissions are not hard to diagnoss. Automatic are different. There is a lot of problems that can happen in an auto. First what is the problem.Does the trans need to to come and if does come out. When you find the problem what caused it. I am not saying ASE is not good to have but you dont really need it. I have been A Transmission tech for 10 years.

Dont get me wrong when I say this. ASE stands for ask someone else. Anybody can read a book and take a test and pass. Manual transmissions are not hard to diagnoss. Automatic are different. There is a lot of problems that can happen in an auto. First what is the problem.Does the trans need to to come and if does come out. When you find the problem what caused it. I am not saying ASE is not good to have but you dont really need it. I have been A Transmission tech for 10 years.

i totally agree with you. all ASE's are really good for is getting a job. i work at a cottman transmission right now and have learned more about autos and manuals than i ever did in any book or class. manual trans diagnosis isnt hard at all...if you understand how they work...which some people dont understand. thats the reason i posted this. but yes, ask someone else is definetly what it stands for. but that being said, being ASE certified does mean that you know something about it. it doesnt mean that you are the greatest technician in that field but it does mean that you understand something about it.

enyawix, for you r question, the snap ring for fifth failed allowing the gear to slam back and knock the drive gear for the speedo out of position. Been there on my capri. Fifth left at 4500rpm on the interstate under boost. felt like the car hit a wall and the motor hit the limiter at the same time.

Jamie