• Mustang Forums
  • 1979 - 1995 (Fox, SN95.0, & 2.3L) -General/Talk-
  • Fox 5.0 Mustang Tech

Did Ford make a production vehicle with 3:27 gears?

  • Thread starter Thread starter Jawbone
  • Start date Start date Jan 27, 2010
  • 1
  • 2
Next
1 of 2 Next Last
J

Jawbone

New Member
Jan 17, 2010
21
0
0
B.C., Canada
Jan 27, 2010
#1
  • Jan 27, 2010
  • #1
Did Ford make a production vehicle with 3:27 or 3:55 gears and an 8.8" rear end? If so, which years and what models? Thanks for any help.
jawbone
 

timeless2

Vi Veri Veni Versum Vicus Vici
Admin Dude
Nov 29, 1999
1,366
202
154
the Shadow Gallery
Jan 27, 2010
#2
  • Jan 27, 2010
  • #2
1999-04 Mustang. 3.27:1 stock rear ratio.
 

wythors

Get off my lawn!!!
Founding Member
May 17, 2000
2,277
35
69
C Addle
Jan 27, 2010
#3
  • Jan 27, 2010
  • #3
My 93 LX 'vert with AOD had factory 3.27's.
 

BlownFiveLiter

have car, will race....wait, it doesn't run
15 Year Member
Nov 29, 1999
3,133
18
108
Chicagoland
Jan 27, 2010
#4
  • Jan 27, 2010
  • #4
I believe the Thunderbird Turbo Coupe could be had with 3.55's.
 

Repostyle

Member
Jun 11, 2005
538
0
16
Portland, OR
Jan 27, 2010
#5
  • Jan 27, 2010
  • #5
I know my 04 ranger 4x4 has a stock 8.8 with 410's. I'm guessin' your lookin' for some junk yard 327's though. I think early 90's rangers had 327's but they might be 9" rears, just something to check out.
 

Chrome_Rust

Member
Dec 5, 2008
530
1
17
Findlay, Ohio
Jan 27, 2010
#6
  • Jan 27, 2010
  • #6
crown vic P71 police cars came with 3.27's
 

Chuckman

GTFO you fat, heavy bastard
15 Year Member
Oct 21, 2005
1,604
1,002
173
st. louis, mo
Jan 28, 2010
#7
  • Jan 28, 2010
  • #7
3.27's were optional in the 87-93 aod stangs.
 

BlownFiveLiter

have car, will race....wait, it doesn't run
15 Year Member
Nov 29, 1999
3,133
18
108
Chicagoland
Jan 28, 2010
#8
  • Jan 28, 2010
  • #8
Jawbone, did you mean did they sell a vehicle with those ratios in 8.8, or if they sold a vehicle with an 8.8 housing that will swap into a Mustang directly? I just wanted to make sure we're clear, since my answer above was assuming the latter, but if you're just looking for any 8.8 ring and pinion, you could add any Explorer, F150, E150, etc. to that list, also. You could also find 31 spline Trac Loc's in the Explorer/Mountaineer and F150.
 

cjrpony

Member
Jan 23, 2010
439
0
17
West Michigan
Jan 28, 2010
#9
  • Jan 28, 2010
  • #9
I believe the automatic Turbo coupes had the 3.55's, 5-spds were 3.73's
 

tmoss

Gettin Wired
Founding Member
Jun 28, 2001
7,153
32
128
Saint Louis, MO
Jan 28, 2010
#10
  • Jan 28, 2010
  • #10
Chuckman said:
3.27's were optional in the 87-93 aod stangs.
Click to expand...

Yep, the option for T5s was the 3:08
 

SpartaPerformance

10 Year Member
Nov 5, 2006
2,517
61
89
Long Island NY
Jan 28, 2010
#11
  • Jan 28, 2010
  • #11
cjrpony said:
I believe the automatic Turbo coupes had the 3.55's, 5-spds were 3.73's
Click to expand...

That is correct and they 87-88 rears are fairly easy swap to a Fox and you get disc brakes. Some later model Fox Stangs with auto trans also came with 3.27's
 

Vinnietbird

Member
Jun 2, 2005
584
3
19
Jan 28, 2010
#12
  • Jan 28, 2010
  • #12
'87/'88 Thunderbird Turbo Coupes.The Automatic had an 8.8 with 3.73's and the 5 speed had the 8.8 with 3.55's.I have both here at the house.They also came factory with disc breaks out back.
 

cjrpony

Member
Jan 23, 2010
439
0
17
West Michigan
Jan 28, 2010
#13
  • Jan 28, 2010
  • #13
Vinnitbird is right, I had it backwards, the 3.55 were on the t-5 tbirds
 

tannerc91gt

This last 25% is foreign territory at this point
Founding Member
Nov 29, 1999
4,392
2,967
234
Indiana
Jan 28, 2010
#14
  • Jan 28, 2010
  • #14
s197 mustangs had optional 3.55 i believe
 
J

Jawbone

New Member
Jan 17, 2010
21
0
0
B.C., Canada
Jan 28, 2010
#15
  • Jan 28, 2010
  • #15
Hi Matt,
I'm looking for a 3:27 ring and pinion that will swap directly into my /90 Mustang.
Thanks for all the info guys.
Jawbone
 

QUICK91LX

Founding Member
Dec 7, 2001
968
3
39
New Jersey
Jan 30, 2010
#16
  • Jan 30, 2010
  • #16
You're trying too hard to achieve something that doesn't net much gain. You can purchase a set of 3.55's from any number of sources that would work every bit as well as an all-around gear as a 3.27 but better.
 

Mustang5L5

That is…until I whipped out my Bissell
Mod Dude
Feb 18, 2001
43,330
18,057
224
Massachusetts
Jan 30, 2010
#17
  • Jan 30, 2010
  • #17
Mark 7 LSC's had 3.08's and 3.27's. Mark 8's also had 3.08 and 3.27;s
 
J

Jawbone

New Member
Jan 17, 2010
21
0
0
B.C., Canada
Jan 31, 2010
#18
  • Jan 31, 2010
  • #18
Quick91LX, I've got the stock 2:72 rear end. With the 3:27 gears, it will give me just under a 20% increase but keep the gas mileage in check, the 3:55 gears will give me just over 30% increase but hit the gas mileage a lot harder. I'm looking for just a little increase in "snap".
Mike, thanks for the info on the Lincolns, there's a /95 Continental and an /88 Town Car that I could check out in the next week. I can get the entire diff for just under a $100.00.
Jawbone
 

QUICK91LX

Founding Member
Dec 7, 2001
968
3
39
New Jersey
Jan 31, 2010
#19
  • Jan 31, 2010
  • #19
See, I am not really sure that the 3.55's are going to hurt your mileage enough for it to matter. The 3.73's I had in an 89 GT really weren't bad either. Sure if you do a lot of highway driving they wont match 2.73's where I have heard of folks getting in the upper 20's depending on how they drive, but I think the 3.27's you will find disappointing after the first couple of weeks and wish you had gone for more. Don't fear the gear!
 

Mustang5L5

That is…until I whipped out my Bissell
Mod Dude
Feb 18, 2001
43,330
18,057
224
Massachusetts
Jan 31, 2010
#20
  • Jan 31, 2010
  • #20
Jawbone said:
Mike, thanks for the info on the Lincolns, there's a /95 Continental and an /88 Town Car that I could check out in the next week. I can get the entire diff for just under a $100.00.
Jawbone
Click to expand...


Pretty sure thatyear conti is FWD, and the town car prob won't have the gears. You'll have to read the axle tag.
 
  • 1
  • 2
Next
1 of 2 Next Last
You must log in or register to reply here.

Similar threads

3.08 gears with a manual trans
  • limp
  • Aug 27, 2026
  • 1979 - 1995 (Fox, SN95.0, & 2.3L) -General/Talk-
  • 2 3
Replies
43
Views
1K
1979 - 1995 (Fox, SN95.0, & 2.3L) -General/Talk- Sep 14, 2026
Qtrhrse23
W
Front ATS brakes with Taurus rear brakes. Full parts needed?
  • Wagonized
  • Sep 24, 2026
  • Fox 5.0 Mustang Tech
Replies
3
Views
126
Fox 5.0 Mustang Tech Sep 25, 2026
General karthief
S
Speedometer Calibration
  • Sonny Bibb
  • Sep 11, 2026
  • Digital Self-tuning Forum
Replies
4
Views
151
Digital Self-tuning Forum Sep 13, 2026
Sonny Bibb
S
Resolved 93 Mustang 5.0 - Cranks but does not start
  • dan50
  • Jul 18, 2026
  • Fox 5.0 Mustang Tech
Replies
6
Views
349
Fox 5.0 Mustang Tech Jul 18, 2026
dan50
F
Ford 460 swap
  • Ford460
  • Sep 13, 2026
  • 1996 - 2004 SN95 Mustang -General/Talk-
Replies
6
Views
226
1996 - 2004 SN95 Mustang -General/Talk- Sep 14, 2026
Ford460
F
Share:
Bluesky Email Share Link
  • Mustang Forums
  • 1979 - 1995 (Fox, SN95.0, & 2.3L) -General/Talk-
  • Fox 5.0 Mustang Tech
Menu
Log in

Register

  • Forums
  • What's new
  • Media
  • Resources
  • Contact
  • Sponsor
X

Privacy & Transparency

We use cookies and similar technologies for the following purposes:

  • Personalized ads and content
  • Content measurement and audience insights

Do you accept cookies and these technologies?

X

Privacy & Transparency

We use cookies and similar technologies for the following purposes:

  • Personalized ads and content
  • Content measurement and audience insights

Do you accept cookies and these technologies?