Did I upgrade or not? Intake question...

Vinnietbird

Jun 2, 2005
First, the engine details....

GT40-P engine
ported "P" heads with Trick Flow springs
1.7 Crane roller rockers
TFS=1 cam
Mass Air and Summit 24# injectors
Trick Flow Street Heat intake with 70mm throttle body
BBK shorty headers

Now the question...I had a GT-40 tubular intake with a 65mm t-body. I sold it and replaced it with the Street heat intake and 70mm t-body. For my combo, did I take a step up, step down? Also, is the 70mm t-body actually too big?

To be honest, I didn't do a lot of studying on the intakes, just a little reading on them, and the Trick Flow intake seemed to be the way to go with the 70mm t-body, and after I did the swap, i started to get more curious about it. Thanks.

• Sponsors (?)

Now the question...I had a GT-40 tubular intake with a 65mm t-body. I sold it and replaced it with the Street heat intake and 70mm t-body. For my combo, did I take a step up, step down? Also, is the 70mm t-body actually too big?

The 70mm TB is just fine. Your new combo will trade a small amount of torque below ~4000rpm for more torque higher up the rpm range. Whether you consider it a step up depends on how you drive. I think a ported GT40 intake/70mm TB combo would have been better all round though.

I just ordered a new aluminum 3 row radiator. Once I install it, I'll take it out and see what it can do. It's running warmer than I like, but not over heating, so, new water cooler. I think that'll do the trick.

Well, the GT-40 is gone. Maybe I'll kep this for a while, maybe not........I need to see what it can do. As I stated, I probably should've done more investigating. I had heard that the TF intake was a little better than the GT-40, and that a bump from 65 to 70 mm t-body would also help with my engine combo. Whether I like it or not, I have the TF intake now.

Here's my TF intake. .....

DSCF8918.jpg

DSCF8919.jpg

DSCF8920.jpg

I doubt you really notice any loss of low end performance. On the dyno, a few ft-lbs might show up missing, but it's probably not going to be so significant that you'll feel it SOTP. The top end, on the other hand, will pick up and I don't know if you drag race the car or not, but it will probably be faster at the track if you do.

The 70mm TB can only help. I'm not sure how big you have to go before the TB becomes a problem, but I know 70mm isn't even close. :nice:

The TFS Street Heat will give an extra kick over the GT40 from 4000-6000rpm so if you use that rpm range quite often, you'll love it. The loss of torque lower down won't be significant enough to be an issue, and you could always make up for it by swapping in higher ratio axle gears.

I too went from a GT40 intake to the TFS Street Heat, I figured it would be a better match to my TFS Twisted Wedge Heads. I am not sure what dyno numbers would show between the two, but by the seat of the pants feel, I felt the TFS seemed to give a bit more power.

Well, at lunch today, I went and filled the tank up with premium unleaded, and on the way back, for the first time since I installed the intake 3 weeks ago, I put my foot in it all the way to the floor. Holy Crap !!! Nothing but roaring engine and massive tire spin. It was a beautiful moment. I do have a slight idle issue. I had the idle adjuster on the other intake, and everything was really smooth, I took it off and put it in the toolbox since I was installing this intake. I may have to put it back on.

I have 3.55 gears, and have thought about installing 3.73's. I have a diff in the garage from a Turbo Coupe (No brakes), with 3.73's and Traction Lock. I just don't think it would be worth the swap between the two ratios 93.55 to 3.73). The 3.55's seem to be a good all around gear for the Sport with decent highway gas mileage,and still gets up and goes when I want it to.