Did the 1970 Cougar use a Heater Water Control Valve? (351C)

I've been restoring the factory A/C on my '70 convertible, and have made it almost to the finish line. The Classic Auto Air parts supplied to me to refurbish the system did not include a vacuum actuated heater water control. Based on the diagrams I've found on the Ford Parts Manual CD, it's difficult to tell whether the Cougar used it or not. In fact, a 1967 illustration even said "not for Cougar", which makes we wonder about the 1970 model year. Why would every other Mercury or Ford model seem to use it? Can anyone tell me definitively if it's used, and if so, where is the vacuum source? If anyone has a factory air '70 Mustang with a 351C, that should be close enough.

Thanks much!

• Sponsors (?)

From what I can tell from the parts books online, it would seem that the ones that CAME with A/C did indeed have a water control valve; the reason for that is because in the factory heater box, the heater core and the evaporator core are situated "back-to-back"--i.e.: air flows through BOTH of them before going to the vents.

You can purchase an aftermarket valve from just about any parts store--Autozone, O'Reilly's, Napa, etc., or you can get a repop from one of the Mustang suppliers.

Here is a link to one at Mustangs Unlimited:

http://www.mustangsunlimited.com/itemdy01.asp?T1=YG136+01&Category=&catkey=Cougar

Hope this helps . . .

My '70 Cougar with 351C-2v and factory AC has a heater water control valve, vacuum actuated, and placed in line in one of the heater hoses. The one in my car was actually installed by CAA in Tampa, even though I live in the SF Bay Area. That's how bad AC service is in the SF Bay Area, that I had to drive to Tampa for repairs.

BTW, '70 Cougars and '70 Mustangs are nearly identical, mechanically, from the leaf spring eye forward.