Didnt know where to post this so....

Sharkster

Oct 25, 2004
I posted this on the svtperformance as well.

Are there any emissions guidelines that dealerships have to follow.
Lets say..... the Ford dealership takes in a vehicle on trade and the car is modified with an array of different things. One item is the cats are completely gone so there is no emissions on the car whatsoever. Now they do nothing to the car and turn around and sell it. Do they have a responsibility to make that vehicle Federal Emission safe before it leaves the lot? Is there a law requiring them to do so or fined for not doing so?? curious

• Sponsors (?)

Sharkster said:
I posted this on the svtperformance as well.

Are there any emissions guidelines that dealerships have to follow.
Lets say..... the Ford dealership takes in a vehicle on trade and the car is modified with an array of different things. One item is the cats are completely gone so there is no emissions on the car whatsoever. Now they do nothing to the car and turn around and sell it. Do they have a responsibility to make that vehicle Federal Emission safe before it leaves the lot? Is there a law requiring them to do so or fined for not doing so?? curious
Depends on the state I would think. I bet they couldn't legally get away with doing something like that in California, but here in Alabama no one would bat an eye.

U.M.

Technically dealerships are not suppose to sell cars with bad emissions unless they tell you. A dealership would consider something like that more of a hassle to get it back on track. On a smaller note, they would be losing money if they inspected it and said they couldn't work in it cause it's no legal.

Or they just want to make $$ and just don't care.

I called a couple of dealerships in Illinois about this and one said sure they can but wanted a lot of info and was, for the most part, hesitant to answer anything. I wouldnt give any to him. Now I called 3 other actual Ford dealerships and I was told absolutely not. That vehicle must not leave the lot for sale if its not OBDII compliant.... this is a must. I told him the car came in with no cats on it.... doesnt matter. I had a dealership that told me to bring the car there they wanted the car on the lot and would call Ford and have 2 investigative reps from Ford there by Tuesday. I told him the car was modified with a new pulley and the rear end was changed to 4:10.... the car is basically as is. Doesnt matter please bring this car in so we can help you with this. He asked what year car it was and I told him it was a 2004 mustang cobra his response " omfg you get this car in here as soon as possible please". He said the Illinois attorney generals office will want to know about this as well.
Hehe I took digital photos of the car before it left the lot including the exhaust while they were figuring how to screw me with numbers and when I first fired it up it was NASTY LOUD. The salesman smiled and said "the cats are gone" 2 other reps told me the same thing.
Now they are playing with the cost of the car and APR hmmmm I smelling a price cut coming on the amount financed.

UPDATE:
Now when I mentioned Attorney, Illinois Attny Generals office and and 2 Ford Field investigative Reps all in the same sentence.... the overall price of the car dropped another $2500 now isnt that special.
I basically got my 04 for about $26500 hmmmmm isnt that special. :shrug: